Re: SSH Tunneling of X protocol from non-interactive session

From: Mihai Osian (zzz_at_zzz.com)
Date: 10/10/05

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:40:21 +0200

Dobes Jiri wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I need to forward X terminal through the firewall from non-interactive
> session.
>

> Situation:
> M - my computer
> F - firewall
> C - cluster with application
>
> M --- F ---- C
>
> The final point is to run a X application on C from a queuing system
> and display on M.
>
> First setup simple test. I am sitting at M. I would like to open
> tunnel from C to M tunneling X protocol.
>
> M> xhost +
> M> ssh -x C
> C> ssh -L6001:localhost:6000 M
>
> Now I try to run application on C and forward the X protocol to M.
> Open another termimal (still leaving the tunnel opened) and
>
> M> ssh -x C
> C> export DISPLAY=C:1
> C> xterm
>
> and error message appear:
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: C:1
>
> Does anybody know why? Is there a problem with authorization? On M all
> the connections are allowed (it was xhost +).
>
> If this would work I would write a script creating tunnel from C to M
> and running the application on C with display C:1 forwarded to M. When
> the script is executed terminal would open on my desktop...
>

> Thanks for all the help!!!
>

> Jiri
>

> P.S.: I use OpenSSH_3.7.1p2, however I don't think it is important...

First remark: why exactly do you want to forward the X connection
manually instead of letting ssh do the dirty work (M>ssh -Y C) ? You
lose the encryption.
Second: Are you sure that X is listening on localhost:6000 on M ? It
might be possible that the X server was launched with the -nolisten flag.

Mihai

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SSH Tunneling of X protocol from non-interactive session
    ... > I need to forward X terminal through the firewall from non-interactive ... > tunnel from C to M tunneling X protocol. ... > If this would work I would write a script creating tunnel from C to M ... manually instead of letting ssh do the dirty work? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: SSH Tunneling of X protocol from non-interactive session
    ... > I need to forward X terminal through the firewall from non-interactive ... > tunnel from C to M tunneling X protocol. ... > If this would work I would write a script creating tunnel from C to M ... manually instead of letting ssh do the dirty work? ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: SSH Tunneling of X protocol from non-interactive session
    ... > I need to forward X terminal through the firewall from non-interactive ... > tunnel from C to M tunneling X protocol. ... > If this would work I would write a script creating tunnel from C to M ... manually instead of letting ssh do the dirty work? ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Exchange Outlook und Sygate Personal Firewall
    ... > Ich versuche per Outlook mein Exchange Postfach abzurufen. ... wenn meine Sygate Personal Firewall deaktiviert ist. ... Ich hab deinen Beitrag so verstanden, daß der Tunnel nur aufgebaut ...
    (microsoft.public.de.exchange)
  • Re: Telnet over WAN latency troubleshooting
    ... up an SNMP rule on the firewall central site firewall and let the Alpha ... the tunnel they should not be aware of the traffic type... ... either to the customer central site or our own location. ... the latency is very obvious; when we telnet back to ...
    (comp.os.vms)