Re: X Windows on remote client?

Ian,

You can look for the xdm server running on your linux box. This allows you
to get the same login prompt as on the console over the X-window. On the
X-Window-server (your XP box) you have to request a xdm-login. I also run it
with cygwin. Works well.

Markus

<http://dorward.me.uk/>
> > Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
>

> Yep, I think thats what I'm asking. I thought one of the key principles
of
> X windows was that you could redirect the output and control to another
> machine....
>
> What I remember doing in the past... was logging on via telnet to the
> server.... setting an env variable to point to my desktop machine and
> starting up x windows.
>
> My desktop machine in the olden days would have had something like
> hummingbird exceed installed on it to provide the "X server". Thats
always
> confused me before as the X server is actually running on my client....
> client server being all about perspective.
>
> Is there a specific term that covers what I'm trying to do, so I can look
> for a howto?
>
> cheers

  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... It's the same Linux code base. ... Microsoft Office on a Windows server, it will install and run fine, the main ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • Re: Question about Red Hat Linux Enterprise
    ... we have is running Windows 2000 Server ... Luckily running Apache + MySQL on a Linux system is not a lot ... MySQL database and injecting it back into the MySQL installation ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Sweet Success
    ... Let's continue to assume that I prefer Windows to anything else: ... neither Linux nor Windows may be the answer. ... While it may well be initially less expensive to install a Linux-based ... of Linux simultaneously, along with Windows Server, AIX, and OS/400. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] 70 million computers are using Windows 98 right now
    ... Linux is definitely not a natural migration pathway. ... Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Mac OS X seem to work pretty ... > desktop to server. ... But then the persons across the sea just can't install ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Benutzerkontenverwaltung mit Win 2003 Server - Teil 2
    ... und dann bin ich über Solaris zur ersten 30-Disketten-Version Linux ... Server auch keine grafische Oberfläche, der vi ist halt mein bester ... Und das ganze geht schon in Ansätzen seit Windows NT so ... > Unternehmensnetzwerk unter Unix administrieren könnte. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windows.server.networking)