Re: Xorg.conf not being read

On 23 Apr 2006 06:10:40 -0700, hopkins staggered into the Black Sun and said:

When you use that never-to-be-sufficiently-damned "G2" excuse for an
NNTP client, follow the directions at http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google
so you include context and don't make it difficult for people to reply
to you.

hopkins's original question was:
[I'm] trying to get my Dell W2600 LCD TV to display at "1280x768" but
running xorgconfig or xorgcfg only allows me to select 1280x1024 or
1024x768.

Well, yeah. 1280x768 isn't a standard resolution.

[hopkins tries a few things, observes blurriness in the TV image]

Is this LCD's native resolution 1280x768? If the thing doesn't have
1280 columns of pixels, a 1280x768 modeline won't work very well. The
fact that it's a TV may also cause problems. TVs != CRTs, and TVs are
built to a lower standard in almost all cases. Even though this TV is
LCD, and should be able to address individual pixels, the control
electronics in the TV itself are probably designed for NTSC/PAL signals
instead of digital ones.

What's the connection between the x86 and the TV here, anyway? For
quality, DVI > S-video > composite. If you have a converter (S-video ->
composite, or something) attached, that introduces more noise and
blurriness.

Looked promising enough but wouldnt let me try anything just kept
getting "Not supported by hardware" errors.: Warning: XtRemoveGrab
asked to remove a widget not on the list Nevermind!

I can't tell what this is attached to. I think you're having trouble
with an app that's designed to calculate modelines, but ICBW. You may
have better luck with gtf, available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtf as a source file. "gtf -x 1280 768
60" may actually spit out a usable 1280x768 modeline for an LCD TV.
(LCDs generally behave as though they had a 60 Hz vertical refresh,
naturally.)

http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  • Re: Off Topic
    ... I have no idea why the plasma market is shrinking -- maybe the faster ... Well I never really looked at the LCD TVs much before, ... ago when LCD monitors were first becoming available and the one detail I ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Nano - TV.....bigger, better and cheaper.
    ... LCD and Plasma, ... Large screen Nano TVs, 60 to 100 inches, with better quality ... Plans are afoot to pilot test the world's first widescreen nano-TV following ...
    (soc.culture.singapore)
  • Re: Wow!! The Hills Are Alive......
    ... Neil, Judy, with 27 years in TVs, 15 years spent working for Japanese ... no "dead pixel problem" as you can get in the gaseous pixels of plasma ... She advises a 1080p LCD set with at least three HDMI inputs. ... If you hang at the store, the TVs are all on the same source and you ...
    (rec.music.gdead)
  • Re: Sony rethinks flat screen focus
    ... it will focus on flat screens built using liquid crystal ... "In the six months to September, the firm lost 60 billion yen ($526.3 ... LCD is out now which is why the prices have fallen. ... SED TVs were out years ago but you will not see them in the shops until the ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Yikes! Consumer Electronic Rip...
    ... When you are ready to buy, take a long look at the glass tube flat screen HD TVs before you pay extra for one of the thin screens. ... And, of course, the viewing angle with a glass tube TV is still wider than that of an LCD or plasma screen. ...
    (rec.boats)