trouble with startx

I log in at runlevel 3 and execute startx to get into Gnome. startx tries
to do its thing and then crashes with error messages such as:
_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener:...SocketCreateListener() failed
_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
** WARNING **: Cannot establish any listening sockets
Waiting for X server to shut down (II) NEOMAGIC(0):
not programming shadow registers

There is a file .xsession-errors from a couple of days ago (even though
X is still crashing), with contents:
SESSION_MANAGER=local/localhost.localdomain:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1086
aumix: error opening mixer
Xlib: extension "XINERAMA" missing on display ":0.0".
subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate ioctl for device
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1150, errno = 0
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1146, errno = 0
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x1c00027 unexpectedly destroyed
Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x1c00026 unexpectedly destroyed
Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x1c00025 unexpectedly destroyed [etc...]
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

It now takes me up to half a dozen attempts before startx works.
Are there any clues in any of the information I've posted?

I'm running RH 7.2 on an old Dell Latitude CsX laptop. I know that sometimes
incorrect network configurations can cause problems with startx; it happened
on another PC and I was able to fix the problem there. I have no network eth0
set up on this laptop and, just to be extra sure, I've deleted the file
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, but there doesn't seem to be any
difference.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler <ara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>