trouble with startx

I log in at runlevel 3 and execute startx to get into Gnome. startx tries
to do its thing and then crashes with error messages such as:
_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener:...SocketCreateListener() failed
_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
** WARNING **: Cannot establish any listening sockets
Waiting for X server to shut down (II) NEOMAGIC(0):
not programming shadow registers

There is a file .xsession-errors from a couple of days ago (even though
X is still crashing), with contents:
SESSION_MANAGER=local/localhost.localdomain:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1086
aumix: error opening mixer
Xlib: extension "XINERAMA" missing on display ":0.0".
subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate ioctl for device
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1150, errno = 0
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1146, errno = 0
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x1c00027 unexpectedly destroyed
Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x1c00026 unexpectedly destroyed
Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x1c00025 unexpectedly destroyed [etc...]
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

It now takes me up to half a dozen attempts before startx works.
Are there any clues in any of the information I've posted?

I'm running RH 7.2 on an old Dell Latitude CsX laptop. I know that sometimes
incorrect network configurations can cause problems with startx; it happened
on another PC and I was able to fix the problem there. I have no network eth0
set up on this laptop and, just to be extra sure, I've deleted the file
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, but there doesn't seem to be any
difference.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler <ara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  • Re: need simple imap server to serve up some maildirs
    ... the 4550 permissions to setuid to cyrus... ... I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0; ... Do you want to track the ERROR MESSAGES WHEN STARTING "X" ... startx 1> startx.log 2>&1 ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: unable to startx in debian 3.0 woody release
    ... When I enter startx, I get error messages ... but none had usable configuration. ... But failed to startx successfully. ... This sound like you use the VESA driver. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Minix 3 on QEMU
    ... prompt # xdm ... No error messages, no nothing. ... I tried startx: ... the external DHCP server is not used. ...
    (comp.os.minix)
  • Re: testing out next ubuntu distribution
    ... which apparently "worked" (no error messages) but did'nt give me ... than a shell, apparently ... Login in and then type 'startx', ... otherwise you'll have to startx each time to boot. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Xserver/KDE problem?