Re: ATI/NVidia driver status?

Aragorn wrote:
Tom Forsmo wrote:

A last question and then some comments.
Is it still so that game producers prefer one card over another? At one
time I remember begin told that if I am planning on doing any gaming I
should buy an nVidia, because thats the cards the producers optimised
their games for. Any comments?

I wouldn't be able to comment on that as I'm not a gamer. ;-) Yet at this
very moment, I think nVidia and ATi are on par with eachother
performance-wise.

Provided that you have a working ATI card (one that works with the
ATI driver), the difference isn't as large as it used to be but
still can be as much as 10-40 fps in Nvidia's favor. And at least
with Nvidia, there's a greater chance that whatever you own will
work with regards to their driver.

  • Re: Feisty: recent updates causing freezes ??
    ... all caused by crappy video drivers (ATI 3D proprietary drivers for the ... Ya know...switching to an Nvidia card ... And changing out a video card is easier than a motherboard. ... Actually I said "in the past", because I gave up on the 3D ATI drivers, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Video card suggestion
    ... |> onboard video card. ... That isn't a problem as I will put a dedicated video ... |> Nvidia or ATI. ... Does ATI based ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Please review my proposed Shuttle Media Center PC spec
    ... >> a higher spec card or by choosing a budget ATI rather than nVidia? ... TV-out is allegedly much better than Nvidia or ATI. ... Until I see how it copes with interlace I can't really ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: nVidia Now Owns AGEIA PhysX
    ... Pfft. ... I'm personally video card brand agnostic, but I know some people don't like ATI or NVidia for various reasons. ... Didn't help that 3DFX & ATI have screwed themselves with bad decisions at key milestones in the vidcard race & pretty much handed the sceptre to NVidia who are almost at the point of a monopoly now. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)
  • Re: Can the ATI 9800 Pro replace stock MX440?
    ... Get a new nVidia 59xx card and stay clear of all the ATI-MCE issues. ... While we keep hearing promises about ATI supporting the AIWs on MCE, ... MCE support has been so abyssmal that if you do have a problem, ... nVidia is gaining a reputation as the preferred card for TV output. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)