Launching graphical applications without $DISPLAY

Hi,

my network has two hosts, each one of them can access the other using
"ssh -X" being both client and/or server at the same time.

Everything works fine and the graphical applications can be well launched
as long as the shell environment doesn't contain $DISPLAY, because ssh -X
sets its own "localhost:10.0" together with everything else which is
needed for X forwarding.

However, apart from ssh sessions I cannot launch any graphical
application from virtual terminals without $DISPLAY, even though they can
still be launched from the desktop environment menu.

How is possible to launch a graphical application without (apparently)
setting a $DISPLAY variable?

And how could I launch them as well from terminals without $DISPLAY?

Thanks in advance for answering.

--
hamradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ANTI-SPAM: please cut "toglimi." for my real e-mail address.

  • Re: Matlab 2009a doesnt autostart x11 on OS X?
    ... -- Start X11 then Matlab ... I also use the simple icon copy method to copy the matlab startup Icon from ... MATLAB will automatically launch the X11 server when ... local DISPLAY value of ':0'. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Process.StandardOutput
    ... > I launch separate threads to read from the StandardOut and StandardError ... > stream fills up. ... > exits. ... >> to display the output of the process to my UI as it is created. ...
  • Interprocess communication woes
    ... I am writing a GUI app using pygtk which would launch some ... capture their stdout and stderr. ... capture and display the stdout as the program *runs*. ... at once presumably when the timer program has completed execution. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Interprocess communication
    ... I am writing a GUI app using pygtk which would launch some ... capture their stdout and stderr. ... capture and display the stdout as the program *runs*. ... at once presumably when the timer program has completed execution. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • problem with VS2003/NET CF and sdauthutildevice.exe on CE5 platform
    ... VS2003 and launch the auth util (installed Windows CE .NET Utilities ... The pc side util display ... matching symbolic information found. ...