Re: Can't run Guarddog v2.6.0 in Gnome v2.30?

On Tuesday, Novenber 29th, 2011, at 21:00:22h +0000, Geoff Clements suggested:

As the normal user try:
$ xhost +local:

Or even better use gksudo.

QUOTE

gksu is a frontend to su and gksudo is a frontend to sudo.
Their primary purpose is to run graphical commands that need
root without the need to run an X terminal emulator and
using su directly.

UNQUOTE

  • Re: Cant run Guarddog v2.6.0 in Gnome v2.30?
    ...  gksu  is a frontend to su andgksudois a frontend to sudo. ...  Their primary purpose is to run graphical commands that need ... Gksudo seems to crashes for me: ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)
  • Re: Changing Default Programs
    ... Does anybody still use the gksudo command? ... Sudo has always worked fine with graphical progams. ... first time as root sudo would not launch any graphical programs. ... You would put 'gksudo synaptic' or 'gksudo nautilus' in the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Logging in as root
    ... file manager Nautilus) then use 'gksudo'. ... Sudo and gksudo are equivalent, the only difference being where you type the password. ... I don't recommend running Nautilus as root because it doesn't give any indication that it is being ran as root. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Logging in as root
    ... as "sudo for commands and gksudo for GUI programs". ... Sudo and gksudo are equivalent, the only difference being where you type the password. ... I believe that this is the situation gksudo is made for, as 'gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf &' would pop up the gui password prompt at the same time as giving you your new command prompt. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: gksudo disable elevation persistence
    ... gksudo, like sudo, "remembers" your credentials for a certain period, ... before any gksudo command, gksudo will always ask for a password. ... You can set the timeout on a per user or per group basis, ...
    (Ubuntu)