Re: HELP: dir changed to a file and fsck f*cked me

From: terry (kj5zr_at_cowtown.net)
Date: 08/02/03

    Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 09:16:49 -0500

    Dustin wrote:
    > I have a directory that somehow changed to a file, and now I lost all

    Not much info here. What is the name of the file and what size is it?
    Could this file contain all your mp3s?
    How did it happen? What did you do to turn a directory into a file?

    Did you try:
    locate *.mp3

    > the contents of that directory. It had several gigs worth of mp3's,
    > and now they're all gone. Besides being incredibly pissed off, I
    > don't know what to do to fix it. I tried a reboot and it ran fsck,
    > then bitched, dropped me to root mode, and told me to run fsck
    > manually. I did so, and it died on some short read b.s. and asked me
    > if I wanted to ignore the error. I said no, so it decided to exit
    > fsck, and subsequent attempts at running fsck showed that my disk was
    > clean with no errors.
    >
    > WTF is going on? I'm trying to keep my cool as I type this, but I am
    > so pissed right now that all my data is gone. The data is still on
    > the drive, because the directory was very large, and that disk space
    > has not been reclaimed ever since the dir changed permissions.

    I'm sorry your having such a problem. I know how you feel, but you must
    remember what your dealing with. You can't depend on a machine to be
    perfect. ( Nothing's perfect for that matter. )

    --
    Registered Linux User #188099
    <><

    • Re: HELP: dir changed to a file and fsck f*cked me
      ... > I have a directory that somehow changed to a file, and now I lost all ... Could this file contain all your mp3s? ... I tried a reboot and it ran fsck, ... > the drive, because the directory was very large, and that disk space ...
      (alt.linux)
    • Re: HELP: dir changed to a file and fsck f*cked me
      ... > I have a directory that somehow changed to a file, and now I lost all ... Could this file contain all your mp3s? ... I tried a reboot and it ran fsck, ... > the drive, because the directory was very large, and that disk space ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: HELP: dir changed to a file and fsck f*cked me
      ... > I have a directory that somehow changed to a file, and now I lost all ... Could this file contain all your mp3s? ... I tried a reboot and it ran fsck, ... > the drive, because the directory was very large, and that disk space ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: HELP: dir changed to a file and fsck f*cked me
      ... > I have a directory that somehow changed to a file, and now I lost all ... I tried a reboot and it ran fsck, ... > the drive, because the directory was very large, and that disk space ... without checking with professionals first. ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: Personal files gone BYE BYE after Vista upgrade!
      ... disk space" only to avail, I lost all my movies, all my mp3s, all my ... personal stuff with this, family photos of those who arent with me anymore, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)