Removing a kernel completely?

From: Tim Cambrant (tim_at_cambrant.com)
Date: 08/25/03

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:46:19 GMT

Hi, I've just started experimenting with several kernels, and I currently
have three kernels installed on my system, choosable with grub. What if I
want to completely remove one of the kernels? Is it sufficient to remove the
/lib/modules/-directory for that specific kernel, as well as the bzImage?
What other (if any) kernel-version-unique files are installed into my system
after doing this:

# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
# make modules_install

I also want to be sure that I don't remove any generic linux-kernel files,
if any such exists. Don't leave me with a kernel-less system here. :) I
suppose I could read the makefile, but i want to make sure i don't miss
anything.

Thank you.

--
Tim Cambrant
<tim at cambrant dot com>

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Which modutils version for Linux-2.6.0-test4?
    ... Tim Cambrant wrote: ... > Hi, I'm experimenting a bit with different kernels, and with the source code ... > install someone told me I might have to upgrade modutils to the correct ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Removing a kernel completely?
    ... Hi, I've just started experimenting with several kernels, and I currently ... have three kernels installed on my system, choosable with grub. ... I also want to be sure that I don't remove any generic linux-kernel files, ... Tim Cambrant ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Dual boot, but with two Linuxes
    ... make automatic edits of the menu.lst file when they get new kernels. ... With GAG I have one thing for managing ... the boot and another (GRUB) for managing the kernels _for each ... bootable partition specified as a chainloader, and you install grub on each ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")
    ... In what way is it a vast improvement over LILO? ... how exactly would grub be a better choice for me? ... I frequently roll new kernels from kernel.org source using the Debian ... If something goes wrong converting from LILO to Grub2, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • ive grubbed up a machine
    ... I thought I'd use grub instead of lilo (because I'm trying to figure out ... install it prior to doing any more new kernels). ... The way my disk is partitioned, hda1 is a small swap partition (which I ... could presumably steal some space from in order to make a new boot ...
    (Debian-User)