USB-UHCI problem

From: NahtMy ReelName (ergo_at_notavalidaddress.com)
Date: 08/27/03

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:05:12 GMT

I'm using RedHat distribution of Linux kernel 2.4.20-19.9.

On this and earlier versions of Linux, I'm having trouble with sporadic
loss of my USB MS Intellimouse.
System burps, mouse is dead, no power to LED, etc. System is otherwise
fine.

 From /var/log/messages is the message:

Aug 14 10:21:43 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:11.2-2,
assigned address 3
Aug 14 10:21:43 localhost devlabel: devlabel service started/restarted
Aug 14 10:21:48 localhost kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Aug 14 10:21:48 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new
address=3 (error=-110)
Aug 14 10:21:48 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:11.2-2,
assigned address 4
Aug 14 10:21:53 localhost kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Aug 14 10:21:53 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new
address=4 (error=-110)

It's always the same, with some changes in numbers, when this happens.

I've learned that I can naively re-enable my mouse if I do this:

/sbin/modprobe -r usb-uhci
/sbin/modprobe usb-uhci

However from the messages in the log in response to that action it looks
like I'm using
a howitzer to shoot a chipmonk.

I just wanted to know:
(a) is this a known problem?
(b) where should I report it?
(c) is there a definitive fix I can acquire?

I googled and such, and I see the kernel changelog full of usb patches
and repatches,
but I really can't tell if it's a known problem or not, and whether
there's a patch for it or not.

For reasons that aren't completely clear to me, the frequency of mouse
drop has increased lately.
Maybe it just doesn't like my sandisk USB CF reader. Maybe it doesn't
like that I appear to have two usb hubs
(there are 4 plugs on the machine attached to two different controller
chipsets I think, it's
an ASUS motherboard for AMD chips if memory serves).

The mouse always seems to die when I'm switching around desktops, and
mousing up some Mozilla window.

Thanks for any suggestions.