Re: USB-UHCI problem

From: Jeroen Geilman (nospam_at_notadaptr.nl)
Date: 08/28/03

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:31:34 +0000

NahtMy ReelName wrote:

> I'm using RedHat distribution of Linux kernel 2.4.20-19.9.

So is that 9.0 ?

> On this and earlier versions of Linux,
> I'm having trouble with sporadic
> loss of my USB MS Intellimouse.

Sporadic loss of intellimouse..hmmm..Altzheimer, then, is it ?

> System burps, mouse is dead, no power to LED, etc. System is otherwise
> fine.

STEP ONE: Plug the mouse in another system/under another OS/same OS in
another USB slot/ whatever - TEST IT !

Items: one (1) misbehaving rodent, and several (1+) Linux "versions" you
claim are all at fault here ?

Apply Occcam's razor and reconsider, mate...

> However from the messages in the log in response to that action it looks
> like I'm using a howitzer to shoot a chipmonk.

Beautiful.

> I just wanted to know:
> (a) is this a known problem?

It is now.

>From the little you tell us we don't even know *where* the problem lies... I
would start by jacking out all USB gear and ONLY trying the mouse, nothing
else...

Compare error messages if any new ones appear...

Post the results of your efforts back.

> (b) where should I report it?

Here, probably ;-)

> (c) is there a definitive fix I can acquire?

Not before you know what the problem is - and you really don't.

Screaming "kernel bug!" as soon as your mouse stops working means you
haven't really understood Linux yet...

That's not to say that it *isn't* a real bug, of course - it's just very,
very, very (very) unlikely...

> I googled and such, and I see the kernel changelog full of usb patches
> and repatches,
> but I really can't tell if it's a known problem or not, and whether
> there's a patch for it or not.
>
> For reasons that aren't completely clear to me, the frequency of mouse
> drop has increased lately.
> Maybe it just doesn't like my sandisk USB CF reader.

You might have mentioned IN THE FIRST LINE that you have more USB devices...

> Maybe it doesn't like that I appear to have two usb hubs

*every* PC I have ever seen has 2 USB hubs - nothing special about that.

> (there are 4 plugs on the machine attached to two different controller
> chipsets I think,

No you don't - it is most definitely only ONE chipset.

> it's an ASUS motherboard for AMD chips if memory serves).

Memory might serve, but for ACCURACY you might want to...look it up ?

Test. Investigate. Post any more and new info.

We'll look at it.

--
Jeroen Geilman
On KNode, thankfully...

Relevant Pages

  • Kernel BUG in khubd with 2.4.30 x86_64
    ... Kernel BUG at panic:149 ... usb.c: new USB bus registered, ... CPU 1 ... Process khubd ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Safety of USB "Y" connectors for power?
    ... FreeBSD and the MacOS really don't like the Acer chipsets for USB or ... none of them worked for USB 2.0 on those operating systems. ... the Firewire part of those chipsets that did both USB and ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Serious Non-USB MIDI Interface
    ... As I said in the original post, USB has proved less than reliable in the ... Later Intel chipsets behave well. ... Also it quite possible that the devices or their drivers ... But reliability I ...
    (rec.music.makers.synth)
  • USB/umass detach freezes system
    ... where USB VIA chipsets were considered to be troublesome: ... I also have VIA chipsets, ... pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0 ... on miibus0 ...
    (freebsd-stable)