Snort at startup on Redhat

From: Matt Warnock (mdw208_at_psu.edu)
Date: 09/12/03

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:30:16 GMT

I'm trying to configure redhat to run snort on the background on startup. I
added the command i used to start snort into the end of my
/etc/rc.d/rc.local file but when i start the machine and check the jobs, it
isn't running. Is this the correct file to use w/ Redhat 9. Also, snort
must be running as root. Will this script file run programs as though you
were root. if not, how can i make it? Thanks!

Relevant Pages

  • Redhat/CentOS IDS Snort deployment
    ... Qurying this alongwith snort-list mailing group with lots of hope. ... As part of my IDS deployement i was trying out SNORT in both Redhat and CentOS and am stuck right now due to some error. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Snort IDS
    ... Ensure it can run Linux Redhat and Snort should ... We run it on Poweredge DELL servers ... > would like to use the Open Source Snort network IDS running on RedHat ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Stoping ICMP PING CyberKit 2.2 Windows
    ... On Tuesday 11 November 2003 14:26, Tomás García Ferrari wrote: ... > I'm running snort on a RedHat 7.3 server and even if I stop the ... > possibility of pinging to my server snort is complaining about a lot ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Snort at startup on Redhat
    ... >added the command i used to start snort into the end of my ... Is this the correct file to use w/ Redhat 9. ... >must be running as root. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Snort at startup on Redhat
    ... >added the command i used to start snort into the end of my ... Is this the correct file to use w/ Redhat 9. ... >must be running as root. ...
    (comp.os.linux)