Re: How to upgrade glibc - and keep everything running?

From: me (me_at_nospam.net)
Date: 09/20/03

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:24:31 GMT

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:52:04 +0200, Alain wrote:

> I haven't found documentation on how to upgrade glibc (for example from
> 2.3 to 2.4).
>
> How would it be possible to have two versions of the glibc: when I
> download some rpm it says, that a more recent glibc is needed, and when
> I try to update it, of course nothing works anymore.
>
> TIA

Easiest way to install/upgrade those binary packages requiring a newer
glibc is to get the src.rpm of whatever package you are wanting to install
and build your own against your version of glibc (unless, of course, the
desired package will only compile against a newer glibc).

Easiest way to upgrade glibc itself is to upgrade to a newer version of
a distro that uses the desired version of glibc.

You'd likely be in for a major battle if you tried to maintain a system
with 2 versions of glibc at the same time. There's probably some way of
upgrading to a newer glibc if there also exists an appropriate
compat-glibc package, but I'd recommend just trying to compile the desired
package from source first before even thinking about 2 glibcs.

jm2c