Re: Can winXP see files on linux box using Samba?

From: Jeroen Geilman (nospam_at_notadaptr.nl)
Date: 11/01/03

Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 22:44:52 +0000

David Johnson <djenkinson@comcast.net> randomly warbled in
comp.os.linux:

> Hello,
> I have just installed linux on one of my home PCs, and have been
> trying to
> set up Samba so I can see files on the linux PC from my windows PC.

Excellent!
How did you set it up ?
By hand ? With SWAT ? Via Webmin (which rocks BTW)?

> When sitting at the XP PC I get permission errors when trying to
> access the linux share.

What errors? Report the errors.

> I see the "group" name I have assigned though.

Do you mean workgroup ? Then say so please.

> Is Samba supposed to be able to allow me to see files on my linux PC
> from an XP machine?

Yes, that is the main functionality of Samba.
And the actual answer to your subject, by the way...

> I have added myself as a "user" in Samba, added a couple shares etc,

Again: HOW ?

> set it up with "user" authentication.

No you have not. It comes pre-configured with user authentication; if
you know enough about Samba to even consider choosing another access
mode, you do not need help. Seriously.

> Anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Any number of things, but since you give next to no information about
these systems, it's rather hard to help you out in any meaningful
way...

HOW did you set this up ? Which version of Samba are you "using" (I use
the term loosely here...) ? Which Linux distro ? Which...ever?

3-Line guide to SMB for total dumbarses:

1. Install samba, define these parameters (do not touch the rest!):

[global]
workgroup = a nice and jolly name for your workgroup

browsable = yes
writable = yes
admin users = your_username NOTE THIS WILL GIVE YOU ROOT ACCESS

[my_share]
path = /mnt/share/whatever

2. Make a user on the Linux box, and add him to Samba

#useradd your_username
#smbpasswd -a your_username

--
Jeroen Geilman
All your bits are belong to us.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Newbie Suse 8.1 Samba/Comanche problems
    ... > have a problem in Linux with something that should as I see it "work out ... Samba can't possibly "just work out of the box" with all systems - not ... least because it won't know how your local Windows network is configured. ... IIRC correctly the workgroup name in the smb.conf supplied with Redhat ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: suse 10.2 and samba please help?
    ... workgroup arrangement they had prior. ... I installed at the time a Linux ... suse 9.0 box with Samba. ... any windows desktops from the linux box. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] trying to figure out how to share a data drive
    ... information about your linux setup so I can make sure we are talking ... partition that windows can read in a dual-boot scenario, ... running samba on linux, then you can share disk space just as if the operating ... your user name is 'george' If it's not, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Samba Network
    ... only samba and may stay this way for a time. ... I can write from a linux box accross ... 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper ... 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] SAMBA.
    ... Stumbled across this about SAMBA authentication and windows ... authentication separate from the general linux authentication (I don't ... This is really the worst parts of setting up a home server. ...
    (SuSE)