Re: Why Longhorn will be Open Source

From: Sybren Stüvel (sybrenUSE_at_YOURimagination.thirdtower.com)
Date: 11/21/03

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:35:35 +0100

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:36:42 -0800, pragmatist wrote:

> How did they get used to them?

Because MS was punishing hardware vendors if they sold computers
without windows on it - in other words, they misused their monopoly
position. That way, it was made very hard for people to try out
different OSses.

> I apologise but I don't know what you mean, I post with google
> groups.

Why not get a real usenet program?

> I've always been unsure about cross-posting, but worked with the
> (completely arbitrary) assumption that 2 or 3 groups probably isn't
> too many if they're relevant. Am I wrong, and if so what problems
> does it cause?

It doesn't really cause problems, but it's usually not needed. It's
usually best to add a Followup-To header, so you do get attention from
the groups, and then the entire discussion takes place in one group.
The downside of this, is that the XP people will have to subscribe to
the Linux group (other the other way around) in order to follow
everything. The upside is that I don't have to force my usenet client
to crosspost every time I want to post a followup.

Sybren

--
(o_   Q: God, root, what is difference?
//\   A: God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why Longhorn will be Open Source
    ... Why not get a real usenet program? ... usually best to add a Followup-To header, so you do get attention from ... God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: questions qasas 28:1-7
    ... it is from the same root. ... There were others in the land besides Jews and some of them were ... sons are killed then there are no heirs. ... in 28:5 god wants to make these ...
    (soc.religion.islam)
  • of causation of 911
    ... The Evangelicals claim money is the root of all evil and the Buddhists ... Om sri Raama jaya Raama jaya jaay Raama. ... (God, homage to Raama hail Raama hail hail Raama.) ...
    (soc.culture.indian)
  • Realtime automated audio volume daemon
    ... Sometimes I fell asleep as well, and I wake up moaning too... ... sound gets loud, it quickly turns the volume down. ... God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Installing RH 6.0 on Compaq Deskpro 4000
    ... If you keep to ancient versions of Linux: ... I wouldn't stick to redhat if I were you. ... God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't. ...
    (comp.os.linux)