Re: Installing RH 6.0 on Compaq Deskpro 4000

From: Sybren Stüvel (sybrenUSE_at_YOURimagination.thirdtower.com)
Date: 12/01/03

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 08:22:48 +0100

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:03:57 -0800, Vilas King wrote:

> sorry about the multiple postings but I'm looking for answers to
> questions that are a bit out of the ordinary.

I've set the Followup-To header to comp.os.linux - something you
should have done. Besides that, your questions are just as ordinary
as any other's, so there is no need to assume any specialness.

> drive c : has Win98 SE [the maxtor hdd that came with the system]

Ehm... please use Unix/Linux drive/partition names like 'hda1' 'hdb3'
etc. instead of those lame MS-DOS drive letters. They don't tell us
anything.

> modem : Motorola SM56(?)

What's that question mark? How can we tell you things do or don't
work if you aren't even sure about what hardware you have?

> I have no A or B floppy drives as I had to remove it to install my
> second hdd- will that be a problem?

No.

> I have had a hard time finding my hardware on a compatability list,
> has anyone installed RH 6, or anything else, on a Compaq of this
> series

Why RedHat 6? That's ancient! Try a more recent version like the
latest Debian, Mandrake or Feldora.

> will I need to change any of my hardware [NIC, modem, ect..] to get
> it to work?

If you keep to ancient versions of Linux: yes. With a recent distro
and a bit of luck, most of it should help, though.

> Does RH 6.0 support USB?

If it does, then it doesn't do it well.

> RH says they no longer support RH 6.0, will a newer version work on
> this machine?

I wouldn't stick to redhat if I were you.

Sybren

--
(o_   Q: God, root, what is difference?
//\   A: God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Remote controle
    ... > running Apache but I could administer RH7.2 remotely by webpage ... independently of RedHat. ... God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Linux Kernel 2.6.1 released
    ... The Linux kernel isn't redhat-specific, ... Sure it is redhat specific. ... God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Life Love and the Universe in drwho on usenet
    ... Ancient religion's believers pray to Athena, among ruined temples in Greece ... the government moved hundreds of sculptures from a tiny museum on ... There is only one true God, ...
    (rec.arts.drwho)
  • October: Holidays & Days of Note
    ... (People's Republic of China) ... Oct. 2 Birthday of Hanuman the Monkey God / Ludi Augustales ... / Fontinaia (Ancient Rome) ... China for those overseas or overseas? ...
    (soc.religion.paganism)
  • Re: Leftover questions for Tony P.
    ... better than everybody else because they had their own private god and you ... As are many of the so-called commandments and laws applied to the ancient ... made as to why the Israelites were not to wear mixed fibers. ... It's a shallow question you have the answer and no one else does. ...
    (talk.origins)