Re: Installing RH 6.0 on Compaq Deskpro 4000

From: Sybren Stüvel (sybrenUSE_at_YOURimagination.thirdtower.com)
Date: 12/01/03

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 08:22:48 +0100

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:03:57 -0800, Vilas King wrote:

> sorry about the multiple postings but I'm looking for answers to
> questions that are a bit out of the ordinary.

I've set the Followup-To header to comp.os.linux - something you
should have done. Besides that, your questions are just as ordinary
as any other's, so there is no need to assume any specialness.

> drive c : has Win98 SE [the maxtor hdd that came with the system]

Ehm... please use Unix/Linux drive/partition names like 'hda1' 'hdb3'
etc. instead of those lame MS-DOS drive letters. They don't tell us
anything.

> modem : Motorola SM56(?)

What's that question mark? How can we tell you things do or don't
work if you aren't even sure about what hardware you have?

> I have no A or B floppy drives as I had to remove it to install my
> second hdd- will that be a problem?

No.

> I have had a hard time finding my hardware on a compatability list,
> has anyone installed RH 6, or anything else, on a Compaq of this
> series

Why RedHat 6? That's ancient! Try a more recent version like the
latest Debian, Mandrake or Feldora.

> will I need to change any of my hardware [NIC, modem, ect..] to get
> it to work?

If you keep to ancient versions of Linux: yes. With a recent distro
and a bit of luck, most of it should help, though.

> Does RH 6.0 support USB?

If it does, then it doesn't do it well.

> RH says they no longer support RH 6.0, will a newer version work on
> this machine?

I wouldn't stick to redhat if I were you.

Sybren

--
(o_   Q: God, root, what is difference?
//\   A: God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't.