Re: sound and video question.

From: newsscumb (newsscumb_at_comcast.net)
Date: 12/26/03

Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 12:20:37 -0800

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:19:05 -0800, tru178 wrote:

> why does sound and video in linux cannot be played at the same time? i
> cannot have 2 application playing video or sound at once. is this
> normal for linux? happens in rh8 and now fedora too.

This is normal. One process per sound device.

PS: If I remember correctly Windows does this also.

--
Ben

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Fedora-7 rant #3: Sound
    ... The huge mess of linux sound infrastructure is shared across linux flavors and not specific to RedHat or Fedora. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... And I did not ask specificly for linux supported hardware, ... IDE CD-ROMS or DVD drives all ... > the sound events were turned on and the mixer showed volume was maximum ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... > audio which is not supported by linux. ... >> The very first thing I noticed was that there was NO SOUND even though ... >>started over with SuSE. ... So much for installing right out of the box on ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [OT]: Substitute VMS for Linux in this article
    ... Linux problems, including claims that sound isn't that important in business ... Rick Spencer on the general issue of Linux hardware support: ... As an analogy, say you worked for Coca-Cola since Windows 95 came out, say ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: SoundBlaster Live! sound card issue...
    ... > I have a major problem in my attempts to configure sound for my Fedora ... has it ever worked in linux? ... what does lspci say for the sound card? ...
    (Fedora)