Re: Free linux?

From: slurper (slurper1234_at_skynet.be)
Date: 01/13/04

    Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:53:17 +0100

    carbon3c wrote:

    > Now that Redhat Linux is no longer supported and there's an annual fee for
    > Redhat Enterprise Linux, a fee for SUSE Linux, and now a membership fee
    > for Mandrake -- what do people recommend as a free (or low cost) solution
    > for a
    > web/mail/CVS server? I need something solid and stable, but I don't want
    > pay, unless it's worth the money. I have been using Linux for 6 years,
    > and UNIX long before that, so I never need support, but I don't want to
    > deal
    > with crappy software either. Suggestions?
    >
    > Dan
    don't worry: redhat (fedora), mandrake, slackware, gentoo, debian plenty to
    choose of with slight inclination to redhat or mandrake for production use
    (mandrake has 'official' support)

    • Re: New laptop/Linux
      ... confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. ... "Community" version of RedHat. ... It is very stable and you pay to get license and support. ... the source of their distro, and this is used by others to build distros ...
      (comp.os.linux.portable)
    • Re: New laptop/Linux
      ... confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. ... "Community" version of RedHat. ... It is very stable and you pay to get license and support. ... the source of their distro, and this is used by others to build distros ...
      (comp.os.linux.portable)
    • Re: New laptop/Linux
      ... confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. ... "Community" version of RedHat. ... It is very stable and you pay to get license and support. ... the source of their distro, and this is used by others to build distros ...
      (comp.os.linux.portable)
    • Re: Free linux?
      ... > Redhat Enterprise Linux, a fee for SUSE Linux, and now a membership fee ... and commercial packages and support. ...
      (comp.os.linux)
    • Re: Is linux free
      ... "> Go to the websites of Redhat, Mandriva or mandrake, Suse, Mepis, etc. ... No ISOs are available for download. ... "> there who would allow you to download linux. ... What you would be paying for is *direct support services*. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)