Re: Windows 95, 98 or XP on Linux - Questions about Virtual Machines

From: Kasper Dupont (kasperd_at_daimi.au.dk)
Date: 01/17/04

Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:04:46 +0100

Mark Hobley wrote:

> I have heard that it is possible to run a virtual machine on Linux,
> which enables the running of Windows 95 or Windows 98.
>
> I think this is achievable using a product called "VMWARE".

That is one of many possibilities. I have only a litle
experience with VMWare. AFAIK it have one of the best
emulations of real PC hardware.

> I would like to run Windows 98 or possibly Windows XP in a virtual
> machine on my Linux PC.

That should work with VMWare.

> I have in the past seen Windows 95 running on an Apple Mac using
> "Virtual PC"

VMWare should perform better than that. But not as good
as running directly on physical hardware.

> I want to hear from anyone who has experience of such an application
> on Linux.
>
> I want to know specifically, if all hardware operates 100%.

VMWare doesn't allow direct access to your hardware. It
will use hardware, mostly through normal system calls,
and then it will emulate hardware. It emulates floppy
drivers, IDE disks, network interfaces, some graphics
board, and some more.

> I am interested in running some Windows 3d games, such as Battlefield
> 1942, Call of Duty and Medal of Honour.
>
> Does the 3d components of the video card work under a virtual machine
> ?

The VMWare version we have doesn't support 3D graphics.

> Does the virtual machine recognize the original copy protected CDROMs
> that these games run on ?

I wouldn't expect it to work.

> (Or do I need to apply no-cd patches to the games ?)

That might work.

> What choice of virtual machine packages do I have ?
>
> Are any of them open source ?

There are a lot of options, but AFAIK none have a
hardware emulation as good as VMWare. Projects woth
looking into are: DOSEMU, Wine, Bochs, WIN4LIN.

List of newsgroups too long.
FUT: comp.os.linux.development.system

--
Kasper Dupont -- der bruger for meget tid paa usenet.
For sending spam use mailto:aaarep@daimi.au.dk

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Migrating Windows to Linux Questions.
    ... -BAJ> -However to make my life easier I decided to migrate to Linux. ... -BAJ> configured system under VMWare cannot boot and run under native hardware? ... -BAJ> The only problem I see is that VMWare by necessity virtualizes hardware. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: LAMP Question
    ... Would you be able to recommend a virtual machine? ... VMware 5 workstation is awesome! ... air-card on Linux, so booting into Linux was ok as long as I could ... etc etc. I'd have to go boot back into Windows ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Migrating Windows to Linux Questions.
    ... ->cannot boot and run under native hardware? ... -The proposal was to install Linux under VMWare running under Windoze ... The proposal was to install Linux under VMWare running under Windows, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Windows 95, 98 or XP on Linux - Questions about Virtual Machines
    ... > I have heard that it is possible to run a virtual machine on Linux, ... > I would like to run Windows 98 or possibly Windows XP in a virtual ... > I want to know specifically, if all hardware operates 100%. ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Windows 95, 98 or XP on Linux - Questions about Virtual Machines
    ... > I have heard that it is possible to run a virtual machine on Linux, ... > I would like to run Windows 98 or possibly Windows XP in a virtual ... > I want to know specifically, if all hardware operates 100%. ...
    (comp.os.linux.questions)