Re: Call for a new operating system

From: Gary Schenk (gary_schenk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 01/19/04

Date: 19 Jan 2004 09:39:56 -0800

tobias@itservices.co.mz (Tobias Skytte) wrote in message news:<a30b8dd6.0401190103.38764d86@posting.google.com>...

<snip>

> IMHO there is a big problem that is preventing linux from becomming
> mainstream and that is the difficulty in installing applications.

<snip>

> I don't see why computers shouldnt be made easy to use. I think that
> the above mentioned install nightmares are often because the
> programmer is too lazy to make a installation script that takes care
> of checking dependencies and so on.

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html

<snip>

> Regards,
> Tobias Skytte

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Accessviolation
    ... I misstated in my original post that the form was named Form2Dlg - it was CopyNDlg. ... Following is from the source file: ... <end snip> ... {make sure we're not installing to floppy drive} ...
    (alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi)
  • Re: Accessviolation
    ... I misstated in my original post that the form was named Form2Dlg - it was ... <end snip> ... DirString, Dir, FontDir: string; ... {make sure we're not installing to floppy drive} ...
    (alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi)
  • Re: Mini-ITX PCs a the future of HA
    ... has created tons of access "holes" into its computer programs that require ... end users to become "hole experts" and very familiar with ways to stop ... You can't even risk installing MS blessed and approved ...
    (comp.home.automation)
  • Re: Exportability of EDA industry from North America?
    ... > RedHat 9, Workstation, upgraded to the latest fixes on FreshRPM's ... if a stock RedHat 9 system really does have so much trouble installing ... and then installed gEDA/gaf and the Suite CD. ...
    (sci.electronics.cad)
  • Re: Exportability of EDA industry from North America?
    ... > RedHat 9, Workstation, upgraded to the latest fixes on FreshRPM's ... if a stock RedHat 9 system really does have so much trouble installing ... and then installed gEDA/gaf and the Suite CD. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)