Re: Is there anything like Dreamweaver under Linux?

From: Casey Tompkins (ctompkins_at_cinci.rr.com)
Date: 01/26/04

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:35:42 GMT

On 26 Jan 2004 01:25:03 GMT, Sybren Stüvel
<sybrenUSE@YOURthirdtower.imagination.com> wrote:

>GVim for code, Mozilla Firebird for previews, Alt+Tab, Ctrl+R for
>toggling between the two. WYSIWYG is for people that want to write HTML
>but can't.

[cut]

>Urk indeed. If you just use modern Javascript that uses DOM, and build
>your website with XHTML and CSS, all your stuff will work on every
>modern browser. The Javascript used by Macromedia is awful. It does work
>on almost every browser, but it's ugly and it's slow. Using DOM you
>eliminate browsers like Netscape 4, but people using those kind of
>browsers are ancient anyway.
>
>Sybren

Sybren, thanks for the info!

Also, I know I've seen that term somewhere before, but I have to ask:
what is DOM?

After reading the answer I'll probably slap my head and exclaim
"Durrrh." :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Toward WYSIWYG Web Page Authoring
    ... HTML and the web browser, ... Of course, even at the time of the first GUIs for developing HTML, WYSIWYG ... The best answer has emerged in the form of XML. ...
  • Re: Toward WYSIWYG Web Page Authoring
    ... >> WYSIWYG Web page development capability on the Web - ever? ... > HTML and the web browser, ... > browser being the only web browser in existence at the time. ... The best answer has emerged in the form of XML. ...
  • Re: JS, DOM and tr... IE problems!
    ... I've got a problem with javascript and DOM. ... Capitalisation is often used in HTML markup, ... If you post what your browser is actually getting (e.g. using view ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Re: Toward WYSIWYG Web Page Authoring
    ... >> HTML and the web browser, ... >> browser being the only web browser in existence at the time. ... >> WYSIWYG was already an impossible goal. ... The best answer has emerged in the form of XML. ...
  • Re: iscontenteditable browser support
    ... but am having trouble finding data on browser support. ... HTML edited using Firefox will have wildly different markup then HTML edited using Safari or Internet Explorer. ... If you take a look at most webbased WYSIWYG html editors, those that support it use a variety of hacks, most involve adding font tags and then replace those using DOM methods. ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)