putting linux in another hard drive in PC with XP box

From: curious (heyimjustcurious_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 02/04/04

Date: 4 Feb 2004 11:09:02 -0800

I have Pnetium 4, Dell PC (came with windows 2000) with XP installed.
256 RAM; 1.3 GHZ. Hard drive (C) is 40GB. Currently I have SyGate
firewall installed for XP. I use Norton AV. Other tools used include
CWShreeder, AdAware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, taken from a suggestion
given in comp.security.

I have an extra slot where I can put a DVD or another hard drive. I
am thinking to get another hard drive and put Linux. I would like to
use linux forInterent as well. I called and learned thet my ISP
(COMCAST) doesn't support Linux and so I have to do configuartion to
get interent connection to Linux. Would it be too complicated?

Q1:
I know that some people have a Linux box with firewall installed which
is then networked to XP box. In that case, XP would not need firewall
to use Interent, right?

Q2:
Since I will have Linux and XP in different hardrives of the same PC,
I believe that I would need firewall installed for both operating
systems, right?

I am not in urgent need to use Interent through Linux (especially
since I would have to learn to configure to get Interent connection
myself since my ISP doesn't support) but I heard that it would be
safer to do so. The main thing is that I need to be able to continue
to learn Linux once my current Linux account from school expires by
March 21. Also, I want to learn using Oracle with Linux aside from
learning with XP.
To download Oracle, I would need Internet connect in Linux too.

Q3:
As the frist step, my plan is to have Linux operating system available
at home.

If I were to get another hard drive, what size should I buy (I knwo
the required size depend on the distros; I am asking what size SHOULD
i get so that it won't become small soon for me as I plan to use
Oracle with it and also more stuff later...

Q4:
Would ideal situation be getting a used PC from Ebay and get Linux
installed. That way, later I can get Internet connected to it (put
firewall on Linux box) and then network to XP box.

At some point in the future, I plan to use a router before connect any
pc (XP or Linux) directly. to Interent.

Relevant Pages

  • putting linux in another hard drive in PC with XP box
    ... am thinking to get another hard drive and put Linux. ... get interent connection to Linux. ... To download Oracle, I would need Internet connect in Linux too. ... my plan is to have Linux operating system available ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • putting linux in another hard drive in PC with XP box
    ... am thinking to get another hard drive and put Linux. ... get interent connection to Linux. ... To download Oracle, I would need Internet connect in Linux too. ... my plan is to have Linux operating system available ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • putting linux in another hard drive in PC with XP box
    ... am thinking to get another hard drive and put Linux. ... get interent connection to Linux. ... To download Oracle, I would need Internet connect in Linux too. ... my plan is to have Linux operating system available ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: putting linux in another hard drive in PC with XP box
    ... What you can do is create a fat32 partition on the ... linux just make sure to install the boot loader to the boot sector on the ... to set up your internet to use dhcp during the networking so you can use ... > get interent connection to Linux. ...