newly created module works well, but depmod results in errors

From: roadster (roadster896_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 02/10/04

Date: 10 Feb 2004 05:06:18 -0800

Hi,

I've created a new device driver (my first;-)). I managed to build it
without any warnings and I was able to test it after installation.
Everything goes OK.

The driver is taken from the 'linux device drivers' book (second
edition), so I'm pretty sure that the code is OK. It is the scull char
driver.

However, a day after the tests, I noticed following error while
starting up linux (it is RH9, version 2.4).

Checking module dependencies :

depmod : *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/scull.o

So although the tests are OK it seems that there is still something
wrong. I issued the depmod cmd. myself later on in order to see which
symbols aren't known.

/sbin/depmod -e results in :

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/scull.o
depmod: __generic_copy_from_user
depmod: kmalloc
depmod: unregister_chrdev
depmod: register_chrdev
depmod: kfree
depmod: printk
depmod: __generic_copy_to_user

These are all kernel functions and I'm sure that the according kernel
headers are included (otherwise it wouldn't build).

I don't get this message while linking the driver, so at that time it
seems that these functions are all known.

The question is of course why I still get these dependency errors
after executing the depmod command?

Regards,

roadster.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: i386: pata_cs5520 does not work
    ... Device driver platform lacks bus and class support for being resumed. ... Device driver pci0000:00 lacks bus and class support for being resumed. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: 1394 Virtual Device Driver
    ... Try two machines connected via 1394, one with a virtual device ... > enumerates the bus successfully including the virtual device driver. ...
  • Re: Adding custom Hardware support for WinCE 6.0
    ... diagram implies that device driver must go through the kernel and OAL to get ... Imagine a scenario you want to add one more serial port in your hardware. ... You are lacking a lot of the basic understanding of the Windows CE ...
  • Re: Adding custom Hardware support for WinCE 6.0
    ... diagram implies that device driver must go through the kernel and OAL to get ... Device drivers are loaded by the operating system during boot by ...
  • Re: The Kernal Is A Huge Security Whole In Windows
    ... The easiest way to exploit the security hole I am discussing is obviously ... driver writer is ridiculous, I'm sorry. ... responsible for making his device driver secure? ... > Performance Tab> View> Show Kernel Times. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)