Re: Windows NFS client to access Linux (Fedora & Suse) hosts

From: natG (natgrossDOTrentalsystems_at_verizon.net)
Date: 03/29/04

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 02:11:58 GMT

R.F. Pels wrote:
> natG wrote:
>

>>Samba was designed for Windows shares and therefore carries
>>Windows/netbios baggage (performance wise) with it.
>

> Heh. My experience tells me that Samba is quite some quicker as a Windows
> server sharing volumes through the same method. Definitely feels snappier.
Yes, but is it quicker than nfs between Linux hosts?

>>Do folks actually use Samba for Linux-only networks? One of the Linux
>>hosts is also a J2EE server, and I don't want it to incure extra Samba
>>overhead memory/cpu unless absolutely required.
>

> Yes you do. One, the overhead isn't that much, two, you can share disk space
> over SMB while at the same time sharing it via NFS.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: (ot) Keyboard settings are lost after each reboot
    ... Windows shares need you to configure Samba. ... Keyboard settings are lost after each reboot ... PS How does one get the 'windows shares' to enable family here to exchange files via the wireless network..... ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Browsing Windows Shares
    ... On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 15:25, Paul Vandenberg wrote: ... > I can't seem to see the Windows shares on my wife's computer. ... There is a problem in recent Samba version's where a PC with one or more ... single quote characters in its computer description, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Error connecting to printer via Samba
    ... I assume that that is the relevant bit of fstab. ... my SAMBA server's name? ... That said, I don't access windows shares from my debian boxen, I have ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Windows NFS client to access Linux (Fedora & Suse) hosts
    ... >>between Linux hosts ... Why would a Linux box not be able to use ... >Samba shares another Linux box serves? ... Samba was designed for Windows shares and therefore carries ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: huge hidden archives
    ... Samba is a file sharing system that allows operating systems ... Windows shares. ... before you delete your problem files. ... I don't use Samba and I don't know what this software is. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)