Change owner and permissions for second hard disk

From: thomas icking (thomas.icking_at_freeler.nl)
Date: 06/10/04

    Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:25:05 +0200

    Hello, friendly helper out there!

    My workstation runs now on Red Hat Fedora and with two hard disks, one for
    Linux and one for my personal files. After the installation of Fedora, I
    always had to mount my second hard disk with something like
      mount /dev/hdb1 /home/myhome/mydisk
    To make this step superfluous, I now changed the entry for the second hard
    disk in /etc/fstab to something like
      /dev/hdb1 /home/myhome/mydisk auto auto,user 0 1
    This works: when I start up my system, the second disk is mounted.

    But I now have the problem, that all directories and files under mydisk have
    the owner and group "root", and when to change that. It also refuses to
    extend (e.g. with "chmod") the write permissions for the files to all
    users.

    Does this problem have to do with the change of the mount command?
    What is going wrong anyway?