Re: Problems with WinXP and Linux install.

From: Sean (shenderson_at_codi-inc.net)
Date: 07/01/04

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 00:07:21 GMT

Coby wrote:
> Raj. wrote:
>
>> I cannot install Windows after Linux, since I want a dual-boot with
>> Grub.
>

> There is a way. Once you have installed linux on the first half of the
> hard drive (make sure you create a boot disk on a floppy), then go ahead
> and install windows on the other half. Now, MS will overwrite he MBR so
> you need to use the boot floppy disk to get into linux, then use the
> boot manager configuration tool that your distro uses to reinstall the
> boot loader on the MBR with an option for both linux and dos. I know
> that in slackware, once you boot into it using the floppy, you can use
> the 'liloconfig' command to reinstall LILO onto the MBR. I dont know how
> exactly you go about doing this for GRUB, because i havent used it much
> - but the process should be reasonably similar.
>
> Coby

Yes but how do you prevent the recovery cd from overwriting the first
half of his disk? The IBM disk just reformats the whole drive. Pain
in the arse.

You probably will need to do the XP install (recovery I should say) first.

I like the idea you have of putting your bootable floppies on a CD. If
you have Nero I know you can do it with it. What you'll want to do is
use the Burn Wizard to select a bootable cd configuration. It will tell
you a little about "El Torito" and explain that you should put a
bootable floppie in your A: drive so it can use it to create a 1.44 meg
size "drive" at the beggining of the CD. At this point you can also put
other files on the CD as needed. You are sort of left with two drives in
one. A good modern BIOS (such as the IBM Thinkpad BIOS) will use
emulation to boot the first "drive" on the CD as a floppy and make the
rest of the disk available to whatever mount software might be on the OS
you load. So to summarize, use the wizard to select bootable CD, give it
the bootable floppy from your set to make the bootable section and then
copy all the rest of the floppies to the hard disk and burn them on the
bootable CD as well.

Now, question: Have you verified that the partition magic software will
load a CD ROM driver for you? What does it do, boot a proprietary OS or
does it just load DOS and then give you the partition tools as well?
Before you do anything that way, maybe you should verify that you can
"see" a CD when you boot to those floppies.

I guess one other option would be to take the HD out of the laptop, put
it in an another laptop (if one is available) and boot it with the
floppy. Will partition magic let you mess with a secondary drive? I'm
sure it will...

Or buy a cheap USB floppy that will boot the thing.

Sean

Relevant Pages

  • Re: W2K SP4 dual boot problems
    ... drives to most recent back-up position. ... Recently I found myself unable to produce a dual boot start-up screen. ... With the assistance of a floppy loaded on boot with NTLDR, ... This disk was created two years ago, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Boot Problem
    ... Was either disk set up as a Microsoft dynamic disk? ... Do not change the boot sector signature. ... I ensure all OK by swapping over drives. ... installing XP as it insisted there was no drive to install itself on! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: 2 drives needed to boot - how to fix
    ... my cloned drive and my system won't boot. ... seems my system wants both hard drives to be able to boot. ... Which is your primary master disk - the old or the new disk? ... Could you, in effect, start over by making a fresh install of the XP OS ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: NTLDR is missing
    ... Make sure that there are no disks in any removable drives when you boot. ... NTLDR is missing, why does it happen? ... Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)