Re: DDS4 Tape Errors

From: David Kinsell (kinsell_at_poboxyz.com)
Date: 07/01/04

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:02:11 GMT

I'd try a brand-new tape. 8 months of daily backups is a heck of a lot
of useage per tape, unless you've got large numbers in the rotation.

Also, cleaning cartridges have a fixed number of uses built into them,
make sure they're still good.

-Dave

"Nick Barendt" <nickbarendt@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4502b77a.0406230712.6e12ffb2@posting.google.com...
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 2600 running RH9 (2.4.20-30.9) with a PERC
> 4/Di "MegaRaid" RAID/SCSI controller. There is a Dell PowerVault 100T
> DDS4 (aka Archive Python 06408, firmware rev 9100) SCSI tape drive on
> the secondary SCSI channel. The tape drive is the only device on the
> SCSI channel and there is a terminator on the end of the cable and the
> controller's termination is enabled on the other end.
> The system has been running for about 8 months with no trouble,
> using Amanda to perform daily backups. Recently we started having
> some tape drive trouble, though. Initial problem was that some error
> during the backup would lock up the entire machine - everything. Dell
> technical support suggested forcing the SCSI channel speed down to
> Fast from the default 320 MB/s. That seems to have fixed the the
> lockup problem, but then we started seeing other drive errors. Dell
> swapped the tape drive, cable, and terminator under warranty (Yay
> Dell!), but the errors have continued. They seem to be intermittent.
> Some times the backup runs fine, other times it fails with errors like
> this:
>
> Jun 19 02:23:43 kernel: st0: Error 250400f0 (sugg. bt 0x20, driver bt
> 0x5, host bt 0x4).
> Jun 19 02:23:44 kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current st09:00:
> sense key Unit Attention
> Jun 19 02:23:44 kernel: Additional sense indicates Power on,reset,or
> bus
> device reset occurred
> Jun 19 02:23:44 kernel: st0: Error on write filemark.
>
> I haven't been able to decode the Error code of 250400f0. The backup
> is failing relatively early, somewhere less than 3GB of an 18GB
> backup.
>
> We keep up with the cleaning tapes and the tapes in the regular
> rotation are of varying ages, 8-4 months old, and I have not seen any
> correlation of errors with tape age.
>
> The size of the backup has increased slightly in recent weeks, but not
> dramatically, going from about 16GB to about 18GB. The drive's
> hardware compression is disabled - Amanda is configured to use
> software compression for better tape usage estimation.
>
> The latest from Dell Tech support was to update the firmware on the
> RAID/SCSI controller, now at rev 2.48. That does not seem to have
> remedied the problem -we're still getting the same errors.
>
> I would appreciate any hints or tips that anyone can offer.
>
> Nick Barendt
> VXI Technology, Inc.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: VTL vs. Backup to Disk
    ... Disk is designated as DASD. ... emulated to provide a complete tape emulation solution. ... The question boils down to backup application support. ... so a good VTL may provide for a better solutions and better ...
    (comp.arch.storage)
  • RE: backup not starting
    ... "The requested media failed to mount" error message when you try to perform ... Backups on Windows Small Business Server 2003 may use more backup media ... If the issue persists, please manually clean the tape driver, and then ... by specifying the same media label name. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Backup failed event:
    ... 1.There is actually no tape in the tape device and it is not correctly ... Please checked the HCL list for DLT backup device from our HCL ... your backup media. ... This operation writes a "free media" label on each tape. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Disturbing Trends with Tape Drives and Backup Software
    ... > I recently had a Dell DLT autoloader die on me and had to replace the ... I had hoped the trends of tape backup systems and software ... > Dell drive and to give us more backup capacity. ... Device Drivers for most tape systems are still aquired from backup ...
    (comp.arch.storage)
  • Re: [SLE] Backups -- near-line disc and off-line tape
    ... daily tars copied to a 4th server with a tape ... That's actually a good strategy -- you buffer to disc, ... such real-time tape backup is why most people hate tape. ... new $500-600 backup server, or just use an existing server (that doesn't ...
    (SuSE)