Re: Smb server not working properly

From: Peter Lu (swift_at_TheWorld.com)
Date: 07/20/04

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:39:38 +0000 (UTC)

In article <RIDKc.5452$dx3.40393@newsb.telia.net>,
Micke <wont@tell.you> wrote:

>I'm not sure that that I foolw what you have done, need some more flesh on
>the bones so to say.. But if you look at smb.conf you need to set up wich
>one to be domain master and prefered master. (I'm using 2.2.8a) I use the
>Linux comp. to be the master it seems to be the safest never any problem
>after I changed it to that. The os level should be set to 33 if you have XP
>or w2k running on any machine.
>Thats all I can think of right now. But put up the smb.conf (the importent
>part that is, not the whole thing) then it will be easier to see.

Hi,

I looked at smb.conf and can't make heads and tails of much. My Nautilus
browser (?) complains that it can't find the SMB Master Browser. I
don't think that's the same thing as the Domain Master. In any case,
I tried playing with the several Master Browser and Domain Master
parameters in smb.conf and so far have not managed to fix the problem,
given that I'm not exactly what the parameters do.

As I mentioned, if I stop the SMB server on the Linux box, then the
SMB client on the Linux box sees the Win2k SMB server just fine, albeit
a little slowly. Should the Win2k box be the Master Browser or the
Linux box? There seems to be some kind of election that needs to happen,
based on the documentation.

I also tried playing with nmblookup, but haven't figured out what it
does. Presumably, it can query a subnet for the Master Browser, but
I don't know what the legitimate Netbios Master Browser name should
be.

Thanks for any additional insight.

PL

--
Keep it brief: http://www2.paypc.com/mailrules/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Networking workgroup
    ... >> The problem is that the workgroup has a master browser that moves ... and started the samba service and re-booted the machine. ... I used to be able to see the Windows machines from the Linux machine, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Purging Underscored Hostnames in Linux/XP Pro Local Network
    ... >>via Samba and to just do time synchs. ... >>Linux, I made the mistake of using an underscore in the hostname. ... >>machines in Network Places the old underscore names reappear. ... > on first in the morning, let it be the master browser and set the local ...
  • Re: Network Neighborhood does not Include All Domain Computers
    ... The master browser is elected based on a number things, ... > Browser for my segment is a Red Hat Linux box. ... > I have worked on segmented networks before of sizes vastly larger than ... > the network I'm on now, and their Master Browsers were always the PDC ...
  • Samba 3.0 MRxSmb Error in mixed Network
    ... I am new to this forum and newby in working with linux. ... A few days ago i have added a new linux computer to our Windows 2K/XP ... Server ever since. ... The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Smb server not working properly
    ... > SMB server on Linux and the Linux client now complains that it can't ... If I stop the Linux SMB server, ... one to be domain master and prefered master. ...
    (comp.os.linux)