Re: Thinking about Linux

From: mjt (mjtobler_at_removethis_mail.ru)
Date: 07/21/04

    Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 04:25:02 GMT

    Dean wrote:

    > can I use Linux and Windows XP on the same hard drive?

    ... yes: it's called duel-booting

    > What are the advantages of Linux?

    there are many: google is your friend

    > Where would be a good place to start
    > to try to figure out whether I want to use Linux?

    ... the only way is to *USE* Linux. you could use
    a CD-runnable distro, such as Knoppix. you could
    also download a distro and install it.

    > Linux is also
    > available for free - How or what version would be good for first time user?

    ... http://www.distrowatch.com/

    rememeber: "free" as we speak is more about "freedom", not
    necessarily "free" from purchase. you can download a number
    of Linux distros, burn them to CD, and install them.

    <<   http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/   >>
    A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.