Re: Thinking about Linux

From: mjt (mjtobler_at_removethis_mail.ru)
Date: 07/21/04

    Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 04:25:02 GMT

    Dean wrote:

    > can I use Linux and Windows XP on the same hard drive?

    ... yes: it's called duel-booting

    > What are the advantages of Linux?

    there are many: google is your friend

    > Where would be a good place to start
    > to try to figure out whether I want to use Linux?

    ... the only way is to *USE* Linux. you could use
    a CD-runnable distro, such as Knoppix. you could
    also download a distro and install it.

    > Linux is also
    > available for free - How or what version would be good for first time user?

    ... http://www.distrowatch.com/

    rememeber: "free" as we speak is more about "freedom", not
    necessarily "free" from purchase. you can download a number
    of Linux distros, burn them to CD, and install them.

    <<   http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/   >>
    A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.

    • Re: A very simple question...
      ... applications on the CDs, or available for download. ... just as easily via yast. ... Using (suse linux) web browser Konqueror, I clicked on the file in the ... I have not counted the clicks to find and install this, ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Dev-C++ compiling problem in Vista
      ... Linux system like Gerard Beekmans. ... holes and exploits that plague Windows due to the latter failure to ... And many of the programs you'll need are on the install CD itself. ... have to trust the site you download from. ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: Cursor mysteriously moves all by itself
      ... >>> Download and install the latest drivers for your video card and mouse. ... > then you haven't run most of the Linux distros available for Free ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Linux is not...
      ... That's what I was hoping for from Linux, ... I know there are places to go and stuff to download that promises to help ... allow me to install "applications" that I want or need, ... and would work with added hardware that I decide I want to use. ...
      (alt.linux)
    • Re: Linux - for Scotty
      ... But it will let you get a feel for linux, to help you decide if it is ... As to distributions, I've not played with a great variety. ... If you choose to install a distro to a hard drive, performance is, ...
      (alt.support.mult-sclerosis)