Re: Thinking about Linux

From: Sean Sullivan (sean_at_sfsullivan.org)
Date: 07/21/04

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 06:37:42 GMT

Dean wrote:

> I have a lot of questions about Linux. But the first I would like to
> have answered in can I use Linux and Windows XP on the same hard drive?
> What are the advantages of Linux? Where would be a good place to start
> to try to figure out whether I want to use Linux? Linux is also
> available for free~~How or what version would be good for first time user?
> Hope someone would be kind enough to answer some of these questions.
> Thanks!
>
> Dean

Check out the GNU Philosophy here:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

There is an absolute ton of advantages to running Linux. Here's a good spot
to learn some specific advantages:
http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/html/lnag.html
Here is an excellent full length book published online:
http://www.icon.co.za/%7Epsheer/book/index.html.gz

and last but not least: http://www.linuxquestions.org contains a wealth of
info on questions already asked (or questions waiting to be answered :)

Have fun!!

Sean Sullivan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: MP3 Players
    ... Dean ... > I think you could also use up media player for linux 'mplayer' ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: OT: Funny...
    ... Dean H wrote: ... Which has been going on since the end of the War Between the States, ... Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://n0nb.us/index.html ...
    (rec.motorcycles.dirt)
  • Thinking about Linux
    ... I have a lot of questions about Linux. ... have answered in can I use Linux and Windows XP on the same hard drive? ... available for free~~How or what version would be good for first time user? ... Dean ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Selective uniqueness indexes
    ... Windows, Linux. ... | This is a statement that creates a unique index on field F1 in table T ... Dean - Hide quoted text - ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.misc)