Re: Error while installing firefox

From: Conny (NOSPAMuncurbed_at_swipnet.se)
Date: 12/16/04

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:16:07 GMT

"Mike Rappe" <mrappe@houston.rr.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:41C1E18B.8090308@houston.rr.com...
>I am trying to install Firefox on my Linux PC.I have
>
> Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche)
>
> Kernel 2.4.18-14bigmem on an i686
>
> Installed with 128 M Ram and pleny of disk space.
>
> These are the listed requirements for Firefox
>
> I downloaded the Firefox installer for Linux. When running the installer I
> got an error message while the installer reached this point: Extracting
> libplc4.so...
> Then I got an alert box that said this :
> Fatal Error [-618]: Couldn't open xpistub library
> The terminal session from which I launched the installer had this error:
>
> [root@localhost firefox-installer]# bash firefox-installer
>
> ** (firefox-installer-bin:4208): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to
> pango
> _layout_set_text()
>
> ** (firefox-installer-bin:4208): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to
> pango
> _layout_set_text()
>
> ** (firefox-installer-bin:4208): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to
> pango
> _layout_set_text()
>
> ** (firefox-installer-bin:4208): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to
> pango
> _layout_set_text()
> DLError: /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found
> (required by
> [root@localhost firefox-installer]# bash firefox-installer
> DLError: /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found
> (required by ./libnspr4.so)^[[2~
>
> Can anyone point me to what I need to do. I am not sure where GLIBC_2.3.2
> should be at or what version that I have or what it would take to update
> if needed.
>
> Thank You,
>
> m rappe@houston.rr.com
> (remove the space between m and r)

Install glibc?!
get the glibc package with 'swaret' or 'slapt-get' or download it and
install it manually with 'installpkg'

Relevant Pages

  • Re: newbie Help: HOW to use VBSCript on clientside to detect browser type and version
    ... > number in order to stop the HP installer malfunction. ... > and check for one with "firefox" ... >>> I appreciate any script ... or is it possible to do this through reading registry keys. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: newbie Help: HOW to use VBSCript on clientside to detect browser type and version
    ... number in order to stop the HP installer malfunction. ... Firefox is awkward because it doesn't register ... so on) on the client side using VBScript. ... or is it possible to do this through reading registry keys. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Error while installing firefox
    ... I am trying to install Firefox on my Linux PC.I have ... These are the listed requirements for Firefox ... I downloaded the Firefox installer for Linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: How do I start Firefox
    ... I wrongly presumed Linux ... If you could guide me to a location in the file system that I ... I don't normally use an installer for the likes of firefox. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [SLE] SUSE 10.0 Sound problems with Firefox
    ... I guess they figured out that Linux users were a lot smarter than Windows users and stopped providing the installer version for Linux. ... I don't know if this is a typo or deliberate and whether this makes a difference to the problem but the name of the extracted directory from the tar.gz file is 'firefox' and not 'Firefox'. ... I don't use TeamSpeak so cannot comment on what it uses but I have just started the tar.gz version of Firefox and also the RPM version as installed by SUSE and both are using /dev/dsp. ... If I define mplayer for example, in mozilla.org version of Firefox, it will execute mplayer, and play the video with sound. ...
    (SuSE)