Re: Question about Linux

From: Andreas Janssen (andreas.janssen_at_bigfoot.com)
Date: 01/05/05

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:07:02 +0100

Hello

Jon Martin Solaas (<jonmartin.solaas@mail.link.no>) wrote:
> Daeron wrote:
>

>> Q2: does this also mean that I will have to re-write the MBR every
>> time I want to update the Linux kernel?
>
> Not if the linux bootloader is not installed in MBR.

Even if the bootloader is in the MBR, it does not need to be reinstalled
after upgrading the kernel - if the bootloader is grub.

> [lilo needs to be updated]
> Same goes for grub, except I think it's smart enough to update
> whatever needs to be updated when grub.conf changes automatically.

No, grub can read some file systems and find the kernel itself. You do
not need to reinstall the MBR, you can even load kernels that arent in
your grub.conf or menu.lst at all.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976
http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps-sarge.html

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Grub Error 22 - Ubuntu / Win2k - Cant boot linux session
    ... i can boot Win2k without problems, but i can't boot on linux? ... Ensure GRUB knows where to look for the linux bootable kernel.... ... Ensure the kernel line is correct and points to your kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: GRUB boots to prompt but wont boot OS
    ... the first hard disc on my system, /dev/hda as far as linux is ... as well as a linux kernel. ... In the grub subdirectory of the boot partition the ... Yet grub will not boot the kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: GRUB boots to prompt but wont boot OS
    ... the first hard disc on my system, /dev/hda as far as linux is ... as well as a linux kernel. ... In the grub subdirectory of the boot partition the ... Yet grub will not boot the kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Goddamned programmers are incompetent!
    ... You don't need to write your own bootloader, unless you just want to do ... GRUB handles Linux and Windows just fine. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: GRUB boots to prompt but wont boot OS
    ... as well as a linux kernel. ... In the grub subdirectory of the boot partition the ... The menu.lst file correctly lists the kernel, the boot root ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)