Re: [Newbie]Mounting NTFS

From: philo (_at_privacy.net)
Date: 03/14/05

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:45:18 -0600

domnicjp@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two partitions on my laptop - (1)Windows (NTFS) partition
> (2)Linux partition. While trying to install GRUB, I seem to have
> blundered somewhere and consequently I am not able to boot into XP now.
> I have extremely important data on my Windows partition and I have been
> trying to rescue this data. Someone suggested the following URL:
>
> http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
>
> (I downloaded the package and followed the instructions. Now cat
> /proc/filesystems lists ntfs, so I suppose I have support for NTFS)
>
> Now when I try to mount the ntfs partition, I keep getting the
> following error:
>
> mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
> or too many mounted file systems
>
> Also, fdisk gives the following output:
>
> /sbin/fdisk -l
> Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/hda1 * 1 5099 40957686 7 HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hda2 5100 7295 17639370 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
> /dev/hda5 5100 7295 17639338+ 83 Linux
>
> I am trying to get at the data in /dev/hda1. Please can someone advice
> as to what needs to be done. I am at my wits end trying to get at the
> data in my Windows partition. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. TIA.

your best bet is to just boot from your XP cd and
from the repair console
fix your mbr

two commands that are userful are:

fixboot
fixmbr

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Removing a Win98 boot drive
    ... partitions of the same drive for dual boot systems. ... no bootable disk present. ... The Windows partition must be a primary partition. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: BootIt NG high level steps - best approach??
    ... backup boot strategy. ... As far as BING, I should tell you I've been using this software ... make managing your bootable options and partition management so much easier. ... drives) and the DATA partition on a mirrored array. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Dual booting
    ... of Microsoft's dual boot scenario. ... The extended partition is not assigned a drive letter, ... BIOS reserves letters A and B for floppy drives, ... If WinXP Setup ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... I ended up reinstalling Vista, ... The boot SECTOR is not the bootLOADER. ... finds the partition table for that HDD and sees that the first partition is ... violated, we no longer can simply install WinXP, install Vista and ...
  • Re: how to change out system disk?
    ... Inaccessible_Boot_Device, when trying to boot from the new HD, but sometimes ... WinXP booted, you can still run Word, Quicken or whatever without having to ... following the primary partition and the first logical drive ). ... > logical drives in a single extended partition. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)