Re: More Active Newsgroups?

From: Thorn (Raptor_at_Etruscan.Warrior)
Date: 07/18/05

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:57:20 -0500

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:46:37 -0500, Moe Trin Cried: Read These Runes!:
> In the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article
><slrnddkg95.p4u.Raptor@Western.Migration>, Thorn wrote:
>
>>Here Google is your friend. When I have a failure of some sort that isn't
>>easily identifiable I'll run the program from an xterm (if usually launched
>>from an icon), copy the error message (sweep with mouse pointer while
>>depressing left button) and paste (middle mouse button) it into google's
>>search box.
>>
>>99% of the time I'll get a good hit on that text regardless of how arcane it
>>may appear.
>
> Two .sigs I've seen on Usenet:
>
> "Ten minutes with google will tell you more about anything
> than you ever wanted to know." -- Ross Presser, 2002
>
> Google.com for a man, and you'll answer his question. Teach a man to
> google.com and you'll teach him to google forever.
>
> There is no finer resource available. I use it at least several times a
> day, often as much as a dozen times, and it _rarely_ fails to provide the
> clue or fact you are searching for. Actually, I have an alias set up
> (google => lynx http://www.google.com) to speed things up a few keystrokes.
>
> Old guy

Another "Old Guy" once said google is like trying to get a drink of water
from Niagra Falls :)

Thorn

		-- Arthur C. Clarke

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Where have all my recent posts gone?
    ... Its sort of like making it illegal to test the efficacy of the systems ... we shall all eat google. ... The scale of failure varies according to some statistic I suppose. ... The Internet is distributed, though, so "never to return" is too extreme. ...
    (sci.space.policy)
  • Re: simulation virus spread, thesis information needed
    ... 'hochi' wrote: ... | answer should rather be people who answer questions havent even checked ... | Of course i have looked through google, why else would i post on GOOGLE ... facto Usenet newsgroup, residing on tens of thousands of news servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: iso image
    ... On Sun, 07 Oct 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux, in article ... by google, and 'www.dejanews.com' is a CNAME for groups.google.com. ... There are also a large number of "low cost" news servers ... US Government warns against Internet Explorer: ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Picture or video hosting?
    ... I was unable to upload some other material (PDF document). ... copyrighted material from Passfire, Google, and others? ... Whoops, this is a usenet newsgroup, so he because of our basic belief ...
    (rec.pyrotechnics)
  • Re: Can we kill the spammers?
    ... Google is just one of these thousands ... Starting a moderated Usenet newsgroup is a very substantial ... Nobody in their right mind would want to take ... robot moderation systems and teams of human moderators. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)