Copying files slows X GUI to molasses

I'm running Ubuntu 5.10 (kde) on my Thinkpad T42. If I mount a cdrom
and copy the files to my internal HDD the GUI slows way down and is very
sluggish. I guess I must have something misconfigured. Any suggestions
on where to look? I am completely clueless when it comes to this type
of problem.

Thanks.

  • Re: SUCCESS AT LAST
    ... >> "If the game wants to run from the CD, then your problem is that you ... >> not mount the CDROM drive in the .conf file or manually. ... guess you have to do two separate lines for the two drives.. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure)
  • Re: cant mount drive
    ... > through the driver that runs the device. ... > mulfunctioning or something else is fixing itself on the cdrom. ... When I bootup it is giving an error of mount fd type ro is not ... The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in ...
    (Fedora)
  • cannot mount cdrom!
    ... This is a normal ATAPI IDE cdrom drive, ... This is what happens when I try to mount ... Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20 ... hdc: command error: status=0x51 ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: SUCCESS AT LAST
    ... >> not mount the CDROM drive in the .conf file or manually. ... >> where you put the correct drive letter for your system." ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure)
  • Re: SUCCESS AT LAST
    ... "If the game wants to run from the CD, then your problem is that you did not mount the CDROM drive in the .conf file or manually. ... I guess in your example above, you are saying if E was the hard drive you were installing the game on, and using f: as a Cdrom, you would type the above. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure)