Re: Help with corrupt MBR please

Red Kite wrote:

I have a USB HDD which I used during the installation of a Linksys NSLU2.
I let the NSLU2 format it, and it worked OK on the NSLU2. I now need to
return it to its original job as a USB HDD on a Windows system.
However I cannot reformat it as the MBR appears to be corrupt - being a
USB device the normal DOS tools cannot get at it. At the moment I have it
attached to a Linux system but cannot work out how to fix the MBR - once I
can get it to a clean EXT2 or even unformatted then the Windows system can
handle it.

Yes, there are DOS tools that can read/write usb hard drives, and Windows
can also reformat the drive, so no problem so far......

So you can see it Linux, right????

Assuming the usb drive is the first and only SCSI device seen by Linux;

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=1 bs=512

--
"A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  • Drives missing at boot
    ... finds its disk drives at each boot. ... Capabilities: Advanced Error Reporting ... 00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI USB ... Capabilities: PCI Advanced Features ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Largest External HDD I Can Use With a Dimension 8200?
    ... Got the problem with the external Maxtor OneTouch II drive resolved. ... I totally uninstalled and reinstalled the Maxtor software, and used a different USB port on the back of my D-8300. ... These problems with ALL THE USB DEVICES started about 6 months ago, and increased with frequency until recently they became intolerable. ... I use the two front USB ports to connect my PNY Flash Drives, and get errors when plugging in to forward connector, but not the back one. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Installing Fedora without a CDROM: my HOWTO
    ... Here is my HOWTO on installing Linux from a USB drive, ... disk or USB key rather than a CDROM boot disk. ... Put auxillary files (special drivers, post setup install config, ... This way I can mount any number of hard drives in the ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Booting Vista from external drive violate MS EULA?
    ... of OS install to diff drives. ... Meaning this boots off usb vista, if there is another hard drive ...
  • Re: Windows7 on a memory stick -- possible?
    ... Now you got fast USB caddy drive that doesn't melt inside the caddy. ... Install windowpws into virtualbox. ... So I would recommend all distro mainters look at their netbook ... As the pocket drives cost only 40 pounds, ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)