Re: uninstalling grub

Bill Cunningham wrote:

I have searched the net and found much info on how to uninstall grub.
And it's always with fdisk/mbd or the xp options. Does grub itself have
any uninstall options? I know there's grub-install to install grub but
will it not uninstall itself?

No, use something like dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda count=1 bs=512
However since you properly want a bootsector then the DOS command fdisk /mbr
works better.

  • Re: install mbr without running install-grub ?
    ... I found this rather confusing. ... so you would have to install grub there if you want to use grub. ... I'd recommend running "grub-install --recheck" ... to make sure it sees the hard disks as you do. ...
    (Fedora)
  • grub-install: File stage2 is not read properly
    ... How I can install grub in MBR on the disk where to I've copied a ... File stage2 is not read properly ... And it is not get installed into MBR. ... did chroot to that dir and ran the grub-install - above command. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • re: system could not boot
    ... Grub-install /dev/hda0 could install grub to you disk's mbr. ... Because it ask me about using command Grub-install /dev/hdaX where X is ... the root partition. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [SLE] Grub loading Stage2 read error
    ... grub-install to place the contents of menu.lst in the boot sector. ... That is incorrect. ... install grub in the mbr, Changes to menu.lst do not require a reloading ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Repairing GRUB on FC1
    ... Boot to "linux rescue" from CD #1 and install grub. ... grub-install /dev/hda (ide disc) ... grub-install /dev/sda ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)