BSD "jail" functionality (again?)

I asked this before, maybe a year ago.

Does anyone know if Linux will ever have BSD "jail" functionality? I don't mean
UML or KVM, I mean "jail" where the kernel is split up into compartments.

The closest I've seen is vserver, unfortunately the project seems to be dead
(and it's a problem I have a machine relying on it..) after that, I decided
that anything involving a kernel patch is out.

Do you think linux will ever get real, actual 'jail' compartments?

Jamie
Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions

  • Re[2]: FreeBSD on Xserve?
    ... >> If original author wants to mature OS with MAC and SMP support SELinux ... Linux does not have jails. ... but AFAIK UML is not same thing as jail. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re : Possible to run Linux distro in a jail?
    ... This describe how to "jail" a Linux Debian in FreeBSD. ... # kldload linprocfs ... We are using /home/jails/debian for the root of the Linux Debian. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [Devel] Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps
    ... low-level virtualization uses resource ... With this higher-level stuff, you get to share all of the Linux caching, ... I currently guess Jail is quite practical than Xen. ... If you need multiple VMs, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Debian/kFreeBSD vs linux jail?
    ... a jail instead of a Linux CentOS jail, ... know if it's FreeBSD userland or FreeBSD kernel that caused the quirks. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: BSD "jail" functionality (again?)
    ... Does anyone know if Linux will ever have BSD "jail" functionality? ... decided that anything involving a kernel patch is out. ... Do you think linux will ever get real, actual 'jail' compartments? ...
    (comp.os.linux)