Lunix Modem

laith_riyami_at_yahoo.com
Date: 09/06/03

Date: 6 Sep 2003 09:01:14 -0700

hii,
 I'm a Windows & DOS expert user.. i am not into programming but i am
good in pritty much everything else when in comes to Windows.
but then i discoverd linux a year ago.. pritty fancy i like it.. i
learnt a few tricks and trades of linux.. so i am not a total
bigginer.. but the only thing that stops me from using it is that i
dont know how to use the modem..
i discoverd about WinModems because i have one i had to bring this
driver
ltmodem-kv-2.4.18_14-8.26a9-1.i686.rpm
so i installed it.. didnt work tried kppp NOTHING it just said Modem
Busy..
Tried setting the IRQ 11 (Modem's IRQ) to /dev/ttyss2 DID THAT..
but the modem still didnt dial.. in the redhat 8 internet wizard it
said modem not found after it tried probing for modems..
in kppp it said modem was busy when i tried to dial..
when i manuly enter /dev/ttyss2 to the network manager in redhat8 &
made it a generic modem.. when i try to activate it, it just froze
till i had to kill the process...
frankly i tried everything.. i had another modem which is an old
Motorolla analog HARDWARE modem (which i am not sure if it is in the
best state coz i didnt test it yet under windows) & i tried to work it
under Linux.. NO USE.. although it detects it as soon as i start linux
up.. and i tried setting it to ttyss2 & ttyss0 & everyhting i
know............
i dont know what to do about this modem Business.
AM i dialing the wrong way.. is there somthing i missed..
I SEROSLY NEED HELP ON THIS.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Bye- bye for another couple of years.
    ... > modem or route changes its IP. ... > There are many times with Windows that deleting the Internet Temp files ... under Suse 8.2 NONE of my peripherals apart from the monitor worked ... programmer has a Linux software equivalent but I would probably have ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: More about getting an address book to dial the phone.
    ... >>I have installed kppp, and am trying to get it to dial the phone. ... when I see Windows on my neighbor's machine. ... >>a modem, it better ask me which one. ... And Linux is only suitable for most people. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: CPU power consumption: Atom N470 vs. ARM?
    ... If it's got Win-7 installed, how would you set-aside a few GB for linux, ... I need a Win XP..7 to drive a wireless modem, but I want to use linux ... If Windows & is installed look for its own ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: More OT, hooking computers together
    ... It has been a long time since I've used a modem ... >try various distros of Linux and have been ... net through your Windows box, ... but a networking routing problem. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: DSL not recognizing the modem...what else is new?
    ... ago) under Windows 2000 on this old Pentium II with limited RAM. ... I configured the modem using the Damn Small Linux Control Panel, ... *why* would he need to x-post to a Linux advocacy group so his ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)