Rebuilding a raid 1 mirror

From: Mr Smith (tonyhorse2001_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/16/03

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:57:04 +0100

Hi,

One of the disks on my software-based raid 1 mirror failed the other day,
and I purchased a new hard disk, which doesn't have the same disk geometry
as the old one. I am trying to use fdisk to set up the space correctly
before using mdadm. However I just can't seem to get the sizings correct.

Is there a quick way to "copy" the fdisk partition information from one disk
to another (with different geometry), or could someone suggest the easiest
way to ensure that the partitioning is exactly as the first disk.

Thanks

  • Re: More RAM or quicker CPU?
    ... > cache orders writes by LBA, but it's up to the hardware to re-order those ... but isn't the way to get maximum throughput to the disk drive. ... hardware cache knows about the disk geometry and ... that will run only NetBSD? ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc)
  • Re: Windows wont start after partition resize
    ... useful, necessary, or in accordance with convention (since there is no ... One can set the disk geometry to ... > in the boot sector bios calls. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: [SLE] fdisk then mkfs.reiserfs Now df reports wrong disk size
    ... covered by the GNU General Public License. ... Disk geometry for /dev/hdb: 0.000-19541.812 megabytes ... fdisk then mkfs.reiserfs Now df reports wrong disk size ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Fedora Core 2/Windows XP dual boot: selecting Linux doesnt work
    ... strace: command not found:( ... Disk /dev/hdc: 20.4 GB ... > Does the Bios setup have a function to display the disk geometry? ... I can't find anything about the geometry in the Bios setup. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Booting from CF
    ... CHS this is disk geometry information. ... LBA is and must be always same. ... For instance LBA sector 0 is always MBR, and logical sectors position is absolute on disk so sector 1 is next, etc regardless of ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)