Monitor loses signal during install (was Re: Burning ISOs with Roxio)

From: Aidan Whitehall (aidanwhitehall_at_fairbanks.co.uk)
Date: 09/21/03

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:48:39 +0000 (UTC)

> Could be anything, I had a cd-rom drive that would read fine for about a
1/2
> hour then start having problems. If yon can stick a network card in this
> box, download the suse boot cd and do an install from ftp, it takes a
while
> but will eliminate any cd problems.

I swapped out the CD-ROM drive and managed to get RedHat 7.1 to install in
text mode, so guess it was the CD-ROM after all. BTW, there is a network
card in the machine -- do you know of a guide on how to install using the
method you suggest? (may be handy in the future to know how to do that).

Which leads to another question -- I initially tried installing RedHat 9.1
and Mandrake 9.1, but they both halted at the "Probing video card" stage.
The display said "Probing video card: S3 Trio64 (generic)", but after about
15 seconds, the monitor went black (Samsung 500s) and after another 15
seconds, made a clicking sound. Then, it slowly cycled, clicking, and the
monitor LED alternating from green to yellow, as though the video signal had
been cut and then restored, but with no image being displayed. I tried
everything I could think of, from moving the video card to other PCI slots
to messing around with BIOS settings but it does that at the same point in
the installation every time.

I also tried using "linux noprobe" and "linux text" in the RedHat 9.1
installation, but it still hung at the same point.

The RedHat 7.1 installation in text mode actually did the same thing as
well. However, I think it had almost completely finished, becuase the
monitor started clicking at what I assume was the end, becuase I manually
rebooted and fortunately RedHat fixed the unclean unmout and worked fine.

So, any ideas on how to get around the video card detection problem? Is a
new card the answer? I'd love to get a more recent version of Linux
installed. And thanks! (off do download SuSE...)

--
Aidan Whitehall <aidanwhitehall@fairbanks.co.uk>
Macromedia ColdFusion Developer

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RS6000 43p/140 AIX 4.3 new install - get stuck!
    ... She hasn't seen that I put the console on top of everything yet. ... 5.1 is the last OS version that you CAN install on the model ... and my laptop w/ Hypertrm as a console). ... particularly video card. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: RS6000 43p/140 AIX 4.3 new install - get stuck!
    ... of the older ECC ram for this board, see what I can scrape together. ... to AIX v5: 5.1 is the last OS version that you CAN install on the model ... particularly video card. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: blue screen of death
    ... To resolve the video card issue: Start your computer in Safe Mode. ... detect your video card and will install its own driver. ... 1- Your version of Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: blue screen of death
    ... To resolve the video card issue: ... in Safe Mode go to Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs and ... will detect your video card and will install its own driver. ... 1- Your version of Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Trying to install Video Card
    ... to install an after-market video card into an HP Pavilion ... cream-colored PCI slots. ... If a brown AGP slot exists, ... purchase and install a PCI ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)