Re: Getting telnet to work on Red Hat 9.0

From: Dave Millen (postmaster_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 10/25/03

Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:22:30 +0100

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:41:41 +0000, Peter Olcott wrote:

> I want to be able to telnet to my server. This server forms a Samba based
> LAN. Samba file sharing is working, so I know that my IP addresses are set
> up correctly. When I attempt to login using telnet, it says connection
> refused. It won't even let me get to the point of providing a userid and
> password. I am guessing that this is a firewall issue. Does anyone have
> any ideas?

Firstly, why do you want to use insecure telnet? Use ssh instead!

If you absolutely have to use telnet, you will need to enable it(it is not
enabled by default).

Go to:

Redhat Menu -> System Settings -> Server Settings -> Services

Make sure that xinetd and telnet are checked.

I should stress again that you really should use ssh for preference. If
you want to use ssh from a Whinedoze box, you can use the free putty
ssh/sftp/scp utils.

If you decide to use ssh, enable it in the same dialog as shown above.

HTH
Dave