Re: Getting telnet to work on Red Hat 9.0

From: Dave Millen (postmaster_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 10/25/03

Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:22:30 +0100

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:41:41 +0000, Peter Olcott wrote:

> I want to be able to telnet to my server. This server forms a Samba based
> LAN. Samba file sharing is working, so I know that my IP addresses are set
> up correctly. When I attempt to login using telnet, it says connection
> refused. It won't even let me get to the point of providing a userid and
> password. I am guessing that this is a firewall issue. Does anyone have
> any ideas?

Firstly, why do you want to use insecure telnet? Use ssh instead!

If you absolutely have to use telnet, you will need to enable it(it is not
enabled by default).

Go to:

Redhat Menu -> System Settings -> Server Settings -> Services

Make sure that xinetd and telnet are checked.

I should stress again that you really should use ssh for preference. If
you want to use ssh from a Whinedoze box, you can use the free putty
ssh/sftp/scp utils.

If you decide to use ssh, enable it in the same dialog as shown above.

HTH
Dave

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Commentary on the seven words
    ... When I was an operating systems programmer we all too often forgot that the Operating system existed to support the application, not the other way around. ... A Because the application that we run uses a telnet client that doesn't support ssh - and that's why I can't run ssh on this system. ... I administrate one system that has 128 clients on it and it's ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Commentary on the seven words
    ... A Because the application that we run uses a telnet client that doesn't ... support ssh - and that's why I can't run ssh on this system. ... General Red Hat Linux discussion list ... >operating system and utility advice and assistance and there are SEVEN ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: I do not get ssh. Why is it more secure?
    ... How is this any more secure that plain old telnet? ... And, well, I just don't get the advantage of ssh ... If you put your ssh server on port 12345, it will be free from attacks. ... SSH connections, in the hands of someone who actually knows what they are doing, have the benefit of treating a remote machine as a remote machine. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Horrible system lockup after killing X server
    ... > the Xserver locks up. ... > possible to login via ssh or telnet as a different user or root but ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • RE: Telnet and SSH login problems with Red Hat Enterprise ES4