RedHat 10 wishlist

From: L'Administrateur (cascadia_fun_at_jahoo.com)
Date: 10/31/03

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:13:49 -0500

It was asked what people might wish for in RedHat 10

Here's my response...

I strongly urge RedHat to reconsider the methods required to manage kernel
options. Using USB devices or PDAs is a simple and common request but the
necessary recompiling of kernels is far too complex a process.

Specifically, the tools used to manage the necessary kernel changes to
utilize common PC functions are confused and poorly designed. I'll mention
two approaches for addressing this are possible. First, write a new X
utilities that more intelligently/intuitively group kernel modules for
easier selection. This utility could include all of the functions that
currently need to be done manually: make clean, mrproper, xconfig, bzImage
etc....

Second, there could be selections in the RedHat installation program for
the use of these sorts of common devices and either the kernel could be
compiled during the install, or precompiled kernel versions could be
available from the installation CDs.

This would vastly simplify the interoperability of RedHat and the growing
array of products that technically-savy consumers want to use: PDAs, USB
devices, etc.... This would make RedHat Linux far more attractive to
desktop users. Currently using a PDA with a desktop computer is only
accessible to average Windows and Macintosh users. Linux does not provide
this functionality in any way that is accessible to average users. This
will keep Linux off the radar for the consumer market and relegate Linux
to younger more technically competent users with enough time on their
hands to learn the skills required to get basic functionality from their
hardware. Not a winning proposition for Linux or Linux users.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

D Almquist
Technology Mangement MBA Student
University of Washington
Seattle

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:43:27 +0200, v a c h wrote:

> Please post your wishes and comment others...
>
> My biggest wish is:
>
> 5.1 sound on NForce2 motherboards. Why is this such a big problem? Who
> is to "blame"? Kernel developers? NVidia for not makeing drivers? Or is
> it something completely different? In each case I would like for RedHat
> to make this work in next distro if it is possible.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Kernel Panic After Build, RH Linux 9 (Shrike)
    ... Got Linux on OK, and seemingly rtlinux; ... boot rtlinux, it died in the boot process with: ... Kernel panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:02. ... Here's the so-called base installation for rtlinux with RHL 9: ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... >> I strongly urge RedHat to reconsider the methods required to manage kernel ... So are people born Linux experts? ... >> available from the installation CDs. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... What would be nice is to have different installation schemes....I would like ... I really enjoy RedHat as it is a wonderful tool to use to help people break ... Linux that is easily sold to IT Managers who don't belong as IT Managers! ... > I strongly urge RedHat to reconsider the methods required to manage kernel ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... What would be nice is to have different installation schemes....I would like ... I really enjoy RedHat as it is a wonderful tool to use to help people break ... Linux that is easily sold to IT Managers who don't belong as IT Managers! ... > I strongly urge RedHat to reconsider the methods required to manage kernel ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... What would be nice is to have different installation schemes....I would like ... I really enjoy RedHat as it is a wonderful tool to use to help people break ... Linux that is easily sold to IT Managers who don't belong as IT Managers! ... > I strongly urge RedHat to reconsider the methods required to manage kernel ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)