Re: RedHat 10 wishlist

From: Joe Dewberry (joe-clist_at_pacbell.net)
Date: 11/01/03

Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 17:25:27 GMT

What would be nice is to have different installation schemes....I would like
a "slimmer" install of the OS and packages as I don't really like to have
the bulky RedHat builds.

I really enjoy RedHat as it is a wonderful tool to use to help people break
the nasty habit of Windows on thier PC! That and RedHat is a flavor of
Linux that is easily sold to IT Managers who don't belong as IT Managers!

--
Joe Dewberry
"L'Administrateur" <cascadia_fun@jahoo.com> wrote in message
> It was asked what people might wish for in RedHat 10
>
> Here's my response...
>
> I strongly urge RedHat to reconsider the methods required to manage kernel
> options.  Using USB devices or PDAs is a simple and common request but the
> necessary recompiling of kernels is far too complex a process.
>
> Specifically, the tools used to manage the necessary kernel changes to
> utilize common PC functions are confused and poorly designed. I'll mention
> two approaches for addressing this are possible.  First, write a new X
> utilities that more intelligently/intuitively group kernel modules for
> easier selection. This utility could include all of the functions that
> currently need to be done manually: make clean, mrproper, xconfig, bzImage
> etc....
>
> Second, there could be selections in the RedHat installation program for
> the use of these sorts of common devices and either the kernel could be
> compiled during the install, or precompiled kernel versions could be
> available from the installation CDs.
>
> This would vastly simplify the interoperability of RedHat and the growing
> array of products that technically-savy consumers want to use: PDAs, USB
> devices, etc....  This would make RedHat Linux far more attractive to
> desktop users. Currently using a PDA with a desktop computer is only
> accessible to average Windows and Macintosh users.  Linux does not provide
> this functionality in any way that is accessible to average users.  This
> will keep Linux off the radar for the consumer market and relegate Linux
> to younger more technically competent users with enough time on their
> hands to learn the skills required to get basic functionality from their
> hardware.  Not a winning proposition for Linux or Linux users.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read this.
>
> D Almquist
> Technology Mangement MBA Student
> University of Washington
> Seattle
>
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:43:27 +0200, v a c h wrote:
>
> > Please post your wishes and comment others...
> >
> > My biggest wish is:
> >
> > 5.1 sound on NForce2 motherboards. Why is this such a big problem? Who
> > is to "blame"? Kernel developers? NVidia for not makeing drivers? Or is
> > it something completely different? In each case I would like for RedHat
> > to make this work in next distro if it is possible.

Relevant Pages