Very weird problem with lilo

From: Zalek Bloom (ZalekBloom_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/27/03

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 02:52:19 GMT

On my PC I have 2 disks - one is dual boot Linux RH8.0 and Win98 and the other is
Win98 only. I decided to replace the first disk with a bigger one. I
disconnected the second Win98 disk, connected old Linux/Win disk and the new one, I
copied Win and Linux partitions to the new disk, installed there lilo and
rebooted. I got lilo screen with dual boot, I tried Linux, everything
worked fine. I verified that a boot was from the new disk.
Then I disconnected the old disk and tried to boot with a new disk only:
computer did not boot - it stuck after displaying letter L (I guess short
of LILO). When I connected my old Win disk and tried reboot - computer
stucked after displaing LI (some improvement over the first try, but it
still did not make me happy).
Any idea why it happened? Where should I look for a problem?

Thanks,

Zalek

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows Xp crash
    ... Message came up "Disk Boot failure.: ... indicated that all drives had no disk inserted. ... I tried about a week ago to install Windows 7 on the second hard ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: RAID Questions
    ... You DON'T have to set both sda and sdb to hd0 ... hd0 is the first disk "seen" by the BIOS. ... to "think" that it is the first disk you won't be able to boot up (it'll try ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Problem with raid boot
    ... > bios wasnt giving me the option to boot from the secondary channel. ... when the first disk breaks reminding you that to reboot you will need ... nonsense when your first disk breaks. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Installation: doesnt see setup files on hard drive?
    ... > disk the BIOS is set to boot from must have an appropriate Master Boot ... I was worried about those points you made above so I removed all drives except the one I want to instll ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Boot Problem
    ... Was either disk set up as a Microsoft dynamic disk? ... Do not change the boot sector signature. ... I ensure all OK by swapping over drives. ... installing XP as it insisted there was no drive to install itself on! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)