Using Suse packages in Redhat Advanced server

linuxquestion_at_yahoo.com
Date: 12/09/03

Date: 9 Dec 2003 06:29:49 -0800

Dear experts,

After a long time struggling trying to get Suse to
work with shmmax upon booting, I have given up.

Even Suse support did not help. They waited a number
of weeks, and then finally emailed back that configuring
the memory was not covered by their initial support listed
on the package. However, if I was willing to pay their
astronomical fees, they would make an attempt to fix it.

I have now installed Redhat Advanced Server 2.1 on my
second computer.

However, there were some things that I did notice in
the Suse Gui that I liked. One was gnome-system-monitor.
It looks like much Windows task manager, giving
you a good idea of the CPU and memory usage.

I went to install this, but it failed, saying that I
needed a library.

Is it ok to install any and all Suse packages (including
libraries) on my Redhat AS 2.1 installation? What potential
conflicts are there? Do I need to worry about which
libraries are installed? What about Yast2? Is it ok
to install that, or is it specific to Suse?

Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [SLE] Can a native 64-bit CPU run 32-bit code ?
    ... In the following I'm copying my supervisor's suggestion based on a ... previous experience they had at trying to install MARS (A Mongte Carlo ... But it appears you mistakenly attribute your MARS problem with SuSE ... 32 bit libraries, they need those libraries available in a 64 bit ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Minimal 10.0 installation
    ... SLES 10 is supposed to be very close to the current Suse 10.0, ... The only problem is that it's configured to install the kitchen sink, ... well as their associated libraries. ... then scroll through ALL of the selections and UNCHECK ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [SLE] a long-time Suser compares kubuntu and Suse
    ... Suse has always been good at that. ... Kubuntu is basically ... you see in the yast titlebar is my feature. ... for ages, then go find the software, install it, and hope it works. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: SuSE compatibility problems
    ... It only runs on Redhat. ... Run it on SuSE and you get Glibc ... Did you install the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of SuSE? ... 32-bit support libraries and is only finding the 32-bit versions... ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • SemiPainless Installation and Troubleshooting guide for SuSE 10.1
    ... The Guide is available at szornes4.blogspot.com if you would ... In fact, the first time you boot SuSE on a clean install, it will take ... Packages to Search for and Add with SMART ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)