Re: Command to manually mount USB external harddrive?

linuxquestion_at_yahoo.com
Date: 12/24/03

Date: 23 Dec 2003 17:01:49 -0800

Thanks for all your responses. This worked for me:

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb -rw -t vfat

df -k
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 3142552 36 3142516 1% /mnt/usb

It seems to take the first usb plugged in as sda1.
Not according to how the OS, or hardware numbers the usb ports
in the machine.

So, if you have a number of usb devices to plug in, you would
have probably have to change the number.

-------------------

linuxquestion@yahoo.com wrote in message news:<672ceaed.0312201651.669ae191@posting.google.com>...
> Dear experts,
>
> I'm using Redhat Advanced Server 2.1. I have an external harddisk
> enclosure with an old disk in it, formatted as FAT32.
>
> I've been looking all over for info, including
> http://www.linux-usb.org/
>
> It seems that my machine is recognizing the device at
> the OS level.
>
> -----------
>
> cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/1
>
> Host scsi1: usb-storage
> Vendor: ADS Technologies lnc.
> Product: USB2.0 Storage Device
> Serial Number: A9EA07106634
> Protocol: Transparent SCSI
> Transport: Bulk
> GUID: 06e1d1850000a9ea07106634
> Attached: 1
>
> -----------
>
> cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
> Vendor: QUANTUM Model: FIREBALL ST3.2A Rev: 0 0
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> -----------
> cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers
> usbdevfs
> hub
> usb-storage
>
> -----------
>
> dmesg | grep -i scsi
>
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> iSCSI version 2.0.1.8 ( 8-Aug-2001)
> iSCSI control device major number 254
> iSCSI: detected HBA cef94f04, host #0
> scsi0 : iSCSI (2.0.1.8)
> scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> SCSI device sda: 6306048 512-byte hdwr sectors (3229 MB)
>

> -------------
>
> cat /etc/modules.conf
>
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> alias usb-controller usb-uhci
> alias usb-controller1 usb-ohci
> alias char-major-195 nvidia
>
> -------------
>
> But, I haven't been able to find or figure out the command
> to mount this device anywhere.
>
> What is the command to manually mount this USB harddisk?
>
> Once I'm sure that it works ok, I'll go to automatic.
>
> Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: USB Mass Storage problems/5.0
    ... I think many people who are going to struggle with the MS USB code will ... First things I fixed was the Unit Test Ready command that I mentioned in earlier post. ... Removing the CBW error handling we may unstabilize the USBMSC driver so that some ...
  • Re: [opensuse] dd to mirror before upgrade?
    ... from USB, but can from DVD/CD. ... > I figured that would be the easiest as it seems to be the most simple command. ... the rsync syntax is even simpler. ... I just recently upgraded two 500 GB drives in my laptop to 750 GB drives. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: USB drives and cache mode page
    ... There are no advanced SCSI-2 features in USB flash drives. ... the cache to the host it is IMHO likely that it don't touch the cache ... they are disabled) the MODE SENSE command should be implemented if they ...
    (comp.periphs.scsi)
  • Re: USBIP protocol
    ... you mean when we rev the protocol to version 2 ... Set Configuration and Set Interface are requests on the command pipe ... according to the usb 2.0 spec (these would be a control message ... request on the command pipe. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Command to manually mount USB external harddrive?
    ... It seems to take the first usb plugged in as sda1. ... > SCSI subsystem driver Revision: ... > What is the command to manually mount this USB harddisk? ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)