is there a list of available device drivers?

From: William Winkler (ouiouiliouinqui_at_hotmail.nospam.nospamcom)
Date: 01/02/04

    Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 06:49:41 -0600

    I'm considering installing Red Hat v.9 on my emachines desktop computer.
    How do I find out whether the Red Hat install disks provide the necessary
    device drivers for my modem, CD player, midi... ? Is there a list somewhere
    of supported devices?

    At the emachines home page, they say that they like Windows XP, and wish you
    good luck with device drivers for Linux. I looked at Conexant, maker of the
    modem in my emachines, and they seem to have made a limited device driver...

    As a trial, I installed Red Had v.7 on an old computer I hadn't gotten
    around to throwing away. Even though it could install from the CD player,
    once it was installed, it didn't recognize the CD player any more.

    Thanks,
       Will

    • Re: Allow user to add local printer and change time zone
      ... must be a power user and have the right to install device drivers. ... user right is a Group Policy setting. ... printer or change the time zone. ...
    • Re: Windows and Office Updates
      ... > Windows Update indicates that my PC should have? ... hardware, device drivers, and applications on any given PC, it's ... you needn't install them. ... applet to uninstall the troublesome hotfix. ...
      (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
    • Re: Allow user to add local printer and change time zone
      ... Well as long as they don't have the user right for to install device drivers ... install or to modify a local printer on a Microsoft Windows XP-based ... not add a local printer or change the time zone. ...
    • Re: UAC and USB ports - Standard User
      ... I know how to use the Properties of a program to have it run as an Administrator, but is there something comparable for USB drives? ... The first time you put a USB drive into a Vista machine, the system will install a device driver and create Registry entries for new device. ... you can allow users to install device drivers for specific hardware devices. ... If the device driver for the USB drive has already been installed, and Vista still throws up a UAC prompt every time the user inserts it, then ...
    • Re: UAC and USB ports - Standard User
      ... standard users on Vista should be able to access removable drives; although this can be disabled in the Local Security policy. ... The first time you put a USB drive into a Vista machine, the system will install a device driver and create Registry entries for new device. ... you can allow users to install device drivers for specific hardware devices. ... If the device driver for the USB drive has already been installed, and Vista still throws up a UAC prompt every time the user inserts it, then ... ...