Re: Question: Fedora installation over Redhat 9

From: Joe Blow (joseph_blow16_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 04/18/04

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:40:19 GMT

Sandgroper wrote:
> "Joe Blow" <joseph_blow16@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I've done some reading of the newsgroups and linux forums
>>and I've seen reports of variable degrees of success
>>in installing Fedora over Redhat 9. I gather that this
>>sort of installation is possible, but I shouldn't be surprised
>>if many new troubles arise.
>>
>>So here's my question. Does it sound like a sensible plan
>>to retain my current Redhat 9 installation -- which works
>>well for me -- and wait a number of months for further refinements
>>of Fedora before I try to install it over 9?
>

> Why fix something that isn't broke ?

Security issues? Upgraded kernels that support
new applications? Two among others...

> RH 9 will do fine for the next 6 months or so , unless of course you want to
> be on the bleeding edge of new releases all the time.

No. That's not the point. The point is that Redhat has, surprisingly
(I'm not a Linux maven that faithfully tracks the minutiae of new
developments), decided to scrap what I thought would be a perpetual
evolution toward 9.1, 9.2, 10.0, etc. In other words, I didn't imagine
I'd have any trouble installing supposedly superior future releases
that have behind them the energy and support of the large linux
community. That doesn't appear to be the case any longer.

> Wait for awhile until all the other people have ironed out the bugs in
> upgrading RH 9 to Fedora , then they will be able to tell others how to do
> the upgrade without any problems.

That sounds like a reasonable plan, basically what I was intending to
do anyway. I just wasn't sure about the magnitude of current bugs
in effecting this transition. I gather from you that there are still
many issues to be hacked out. Thanks for responding.

JB

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?
    ... > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me, ... > figuring out what to download. ... whom this is destined is going to love using Linux in preference to M$. ... insisted on installing K3B and if you delete it and then want to install ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?
    ... > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me, ... > figuring out what to download. ... whom this is destined is going to love using Linux in preference to M$. ... insisted on installing K3B and if you delete it and then want to install ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?
    ... > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me, ... > figuring out what to download. ... whom this is destined is going to love using Linux in preference to M$. ... insisted on installing K3B and if you delete it and then want to install ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?
    ... > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me, ... > figuring out what to download. ... whom this is destined is going to love using Linux in preference to M$. ... insisted on installing K3B and if you delete it and then want to install ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: How to restore Red Hat 7.2 to its original healthy condition
    ... > I am using a Linux box installed with Redhat 7.2. ... > deleting or removing some files when installing or removing ... Erase the hard drive. ... > me to upgrade the system to a higher version, such as Redhat 9.0. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)