Installing gcc-2.95.3 and glibc-2.2.5 on Redhat 9

From: Shane (sspraggs_at_acromediainc.com)
Date: 09/24/04

    Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:40:57 GMT

    Hello all,

    I'm sure this question's been asked before, but i've looked everywere for
    a direct solution without any luck.

    I've got a fresh install of Redhat 9 and what I'd like to do is downgrade
    gcc 3.2.2 to 2.95.3

    I downloaded gcc 2.95.3 and installed it into /usr/local/lib. That worked
    fine.

    I continued with the setup of my box and just when I thought I had
    everything running, I ran into the following linking problem:
                undefined reference to `__ctype_b'
                undefined reference to `__ctype_tolower'

    After some research, I determined that it was because gcc 2.95.3 was
    compiled with glibc 2.3.2 (please tell me if this logic is wrong).

    So I decided to install glibc 2.2.5. It installed fine, so I decided to
    re-install gcc 2.95.3 to work against it. That was 3 hours ago.

    I can't get gcc 2.95.3 or the original /usr/bin/gcc to work properly.

    Someone, please tell me what the proper procedure is for installing gcc
    2.95.3 and glibc 2.2.5 on a box that already has gcc 3.2.2 and glibc
    2.3.2

    Unfortunately, using the default gcc (and leaving well enough alone)
    isn't an option.

    Any help appreciated,

    Shane.